#BeaverFamily Feature: Justin Walters

BSU is committed to creating a university culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated – as committed to in the Bemidji State University Strategic Plan. The #BeaverFamily campaign was created to welcome and introduce our new faculty and staff, along with highlighting current employee’s.

Justin Walters
SUCCESS Coach
Start Date: August 27, 2021

Q:Where are you from?

Most recently, Indiana, but for most of my life I’ve lived in Columbus, Georgia. I’ve moved around quite a bit in my life.

Q:Why did you choose BSU?

I wanted to try out Minnesota for multiple reasons, but one big one was the natural beauty and the harsh winters. With respect to Bemidji State I wanted to get in on the ground floor of the SUCCESS program because I wish I had had something like it when I was going through my undergraduate, and Bemidji seemed like an institutional fit for me.

Q:What do you hope to accomplish here at BSU?

To do good. As much as I can, for as long as I can, that’s my goal anywhere I go. I hope that I can help young people to avoid the kind of pitfalls I fell into over and over again during my late teens and early twenties.

Q:What do you like to do in your spare time?

I am a big gamer, with the most important game I enjoy being Dungeons and Dragons. I have played for around 25 years now. If there are any groups out there looking for a player or GM I’d love to connect. Beyond that I enjoy all types of music, and everybody’s favorite topics for discussion: Religion & Politics.

Q:What is something – big or small – you’re good at?

When I was younger I won a lot of academic awards and competitions.
In 5th grade I was five spots away from participating in the National Spelling Bee, and I won the Geography Bee every year. In my adult life that has translated to an enjoyment of and some success in the realm of trivia.

Welcome to the #BeaverFamily, Justin. We’re so excited you chose to join us at Bemidji State University!