by Brian Jambor
MediaSpace users will be able to apply machine based closed captioning to all previously and newly uploaded video files beginning December 15, 2016. The service, provided by Cielo24, creates editable captions and searchable text with an 70%-80% accuracy rate. Captions need to be edited to meet ADA requirements.
Upload video to MediaSpace (Note: video needs to have “processed” in order for captions to be ordered.)
- “Ordering” machine-based captions – Actions > Order Captions
- It takes about 3x the length of the video for the captions to generate. You can check the status of your caption by clicking on “View Caption Requests.”
- Once it is finished the transcript will be automatically generated under the video. If you click on parts of the transcript, it will play the video at the point those words are being said, like here:
Editing Machine Captions in MediaSpace
The accuracy of machine captions is dependant on the quality of the recording and the speaker’s voice. Typically, the accuracy of machine captions in MediaSpace will be about 70-80%, so it is strongly recommend that you correct the inaccuracies of the captions manually, which can be done through the captions editor in MediaSpace.
To edit a caption, go to the video file that you would like to correct and click “Actions,” then “Edit Captions”
Note: You can only edit captions if your captions have been already been processed. Look for “Complete” under status to see if they have been processed. If you see “Complete,” you can launch the online captioning editor by clicking the link.
Once you click on the link you will be taken to “Customer Edit” (image below).
You can edit the captions while you watch the video in the text box under the video.
Online Editor Reminders:
- Online Editor is only accessible for captions created via “Order Captions”
- Using the “.” will create a new line for captions. Simply delete a “.” To bring two lines back together.
- Go to “Settings” to adjust the “Seconds to pause on edit”
- Save and Approve captions
- More tips available through cielo24 Training – https://youtu.be/tAMEvawJ5sk
- Examining the “transcript” file and caption file (Actions > Edit – Captions)
Contact the Information Technology Help Desk for more information about MediaSpace and machine captioning.
Kaltura’s REACH captioning service offers both machine-based and human level captioning provided through the company cielo24. Minnesota State will enable the no- cost, machine-based captioning service. Minnesota State will be developing a plan to enable third- party human level within MediaSpace during Spring 2017.