Crying Wolf (HMU): smart room instructions
The Crying Wolf room is a smart room that seats 120 people and is equipped with two projectors, screens, microphones and touch screen controls. The projectors can show the same image, or two separate images.
Separating or combining the projectors
- Press the touch screen to wake it from sleep mode. The projectors will be left separated or combined depending on how they were last used.
- If the projectors are combined, both projectors will come one at the same time, and show the input from the input panel on the west side of the room. The touch screen on the west side of the room will be the master controls, and the east touch screen will be locked out. All the microphones will work throughout the entire room, and volume levels can be controlled from the touch screen.
- If the projectors are separated, the input panel on the west side of the room will show on the west projector, and the input panel on the east side of the room will show on the east projector. The touch screen in the east room will be unlocked. Wireless microphones 1 and 2 and wired microhphones 5-8 will be heard in the west side of the room, and wireless microphones 3 and 4 will be heard in the east side of the room.
- Both projectors must be shut down to combine or separate the two projectors.
- Press the button labelled “Combine the projectors” or “Separate the projectors” to combine or separate the projectors. The button label will change depending on the state of the room.
Connecting a laptop
- Turn on the projector by pressing the Laptop button on the touch screen.
- Connect the HDMI or VGA cable that extends from the wall plate to the monitor port on the laptop. An adapter may be necessary if the laptop does not have a VGA or HDMI monitor port.
- Connect the audio cable to the headphone jack on the laptop if you are using VGA and wish to use the sound system in the room. The HDMI cable carries both audio and video, so only that cable needs to be connected if using HDMI.
- Connect the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on your laptop if you need to connect to the campus network or the Internet.
- Power up the laptop. You should see the laptop screen projected. If the laptop display is not shown, configure the laptop to send output to a second display.
Using the microphones
- To use a wireless lavalier or handheld microphone, turn on the receiver for the microphone you are using.
- Turn on the wireless microphone. If the battery indicator is red, replace the battery. There are additional batteries stored inside the cabinet.
- The corded microphones can be connected to the ports on the wall under the west screen.
- A Blu-ray DVD player or a document camera can be brought to the room if needed. Please request the use of this equipment when you reserve the room.
Turn off system
- Press the shutdown button on the touch screen to turn off the projector. The fan on the projector will continue to run for a minute or so to cool the projector.