D2L Brightspace: Calendar Basics
The Calendar tool enables you to create and view upcoming events, assignments, due dates, course objectives, and it can also be integrated with your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
In this tutorial you will learn how to:
- View, create, and edit Calendar events
- Add Quizzes, Assignments, Discussions, and more to your Calendar
- Integrate your D2L Calendar with your Microsoft Outlook Calendar
This article is also available in PDF format.
There is also a helpful tutorial video available for this article.
View, Create, and Edit Calendar Events
- Click Materials and select Calendar from the dropdown menu
- All of your events for the month will appear, and to change your Calendar View you can select from the five choices at the top: Agenda, Day, Week, Month, or List
Hint: The List view allows you to Filter By: Assignments, Checklists, Discussions, Quizzes, etc.
- To create a new event click Create Event
- Enter an Event Title
- Choose whether or not you want to add a topic from Content, and if you do wish to add a Content topic click Add Content
- Add a Description
- Select the Attendees from the dropdown list
- Select the dates and times for your event, and if you want to Add Recurrence or Add Restriction to the event
- If applicable, choose a Location or use a Seating Chart
- Click Create
Add Quizzes, Assignments, Discussions, and more to your Calendar
- When creating or editing Quizzes, click on the Restrictions tab at the top of the screen
- Create your Start and End Dates, then be sure to check the box next to Display in Calendar
- When creating or editing Assignments, click on the Restrictions tab at the top of the screen
- Be sure to check the box next to either the Due Date or the End Date or both. Assignments will automatically display in the Calendar if there is a Due Date or End Date.
- When creating or editing Discussions, click on the Properties tab at the top of the screen
- Scroll down and click on Show topic visibility options under Availability
- Check the box next to Topic is visible for a specific date range
- Make sure to give the discussion topic an End Date
- Check the box next to Display in Calendar
- When creating or editing Content, click on the arrow next to the topic and select Edit Properties In-place
- Click in the area that says Add dates and restrictions…
- Click either Add due date… or Add end date… and select a date and time, then be sure to click Update
- Check your Calendar to verify these Quizzes, Assignments, Discussions, Content topics, etc. appear in the Calendar
Integrate your D2L Calendar with your Microsoft Outlook Calendar
- Click Materials and select Calendar from the dropdown menu.
- Click Subscribe in the upper right hand corner.
- Copy the URL that is shown in the box
- Open your Microsoft Outlook Calendar
- If using the web-based Outlook, click on Add calendar and then select From internet
- If using the desktop version of Outlook, click Open Calendar and then select From Internet…
- Paste the URL from your D2L Calendar into the box, then click Save if using the web-based Outlook and OK if using the desktop version of Outlook.
- If done correctly, your D2L Calendar should import into your Microsoft Outlook Calendar
Go to eLearning Website for detailed tutorials on almost any D2L topic.
Call or email Beth Jensen (4217) or Julie Adams (4219) for individual support. The staff in eLearning Support are available for one on one or small group training sessions by appointment. Please let us know how we can help.
Rate This Article
Helpful 2 people found this article helpful.
Related ArticlesDownloading files from MediaSpace
Add MediaSpace Video to D2L Using Existing Activities