Locally Hosted Software, Software Subscriptions, Applications (Apps), Cloud Services or Online Database Subscriptions
Can I start testing or using software, apps, cloud services or online subscriptions without approval?
No. All software, apps, cloud services or online subscriptions – whether hosted on a Bemidji State University (BSU) /
Northwest Technical College (NTC) server, on a BSU/NTC workstation, or in the cloud – regardless of cost – must be
reviewed and approved prior to use. This includes free software or services you want to use or test.
Why do I need to get approval before use?
By using any software, service, or subscription, you are accepting a contract on behalf of the State of Minnesota. The
contract may contain language that the institution cannot agree to, such as allowing the vendor to sell or provide data
collected by the software etc. We also need to ensure that the vendor will protect our data. Data breaches involving
personal data and new regulations for reporting breaches make it imperative that we enhance our procedures and
exercise great caution to protect our faculty, staff, and students.
What do I do first?
Work with your department purchaser to complete the BSU/NTC Software Questionnaire
What happens next?
Information Technology (IT) will review the request from an IT perspective. They will consider items such as:
• How do you intend to use the software, service, or subscription?
• Do we already have a software, service, or subscription that will meet your needs?
• What data will be collected by the software?
• Will the vendor have access to our systems or data and if so, what is the classification of that data?
• If the software will be hosted locally or requires integration with existing systems, can IT meet the desired
timeline for implementation?
• What is the best way to license this software?
• Does this software request need to be sent to Risk Assessment for an in-depth security review?
Business Services will also review the request. They will consider items such as:
• Will this purchase require multiple bids, or will it need to be published as an RFP?
• Can this purchase be placed on a p-card or should it be placed in Marketplace?
• Does this purchase need to be sent to the System Office for a full legal review?
How will I know when I can proceed?
Staff from IT and the Business Office will reach out to you with any questions they have and will provide you further
instructions on when and how to proceed.
How often do I have to have my purchases reviewed?
You need to have the software, service or subscription reviewed each time it comes up for renewal. The related
documents or the way you use the software, service or subscription may have changed. Software that is paid for and/or
renewed through automatic payments should be reviewed on an annual basis. You should not agree to a software
license, service agreement, subscription, etc. with automatic renewals. Do not sign any vendor agreements.
Agreements must be signed by Sherry Lawdermilt, CIO or Karen Snorek, VP for Finance and Administration.