Windows 8 laptop connects to BSU or NTC wireless but drops the connection
Windows 8 laptop connects to the BSU or NTC wifi network but seems to lose the connection every 5 to 10 minutes.
These advanced configuration settings should solve the problem.
Follow these configuration steps:
1. Right click on the BSU or NTC network and choose View Connection Properties to bring up BSU or NTC Wireless network Properties dialog box.
If that option is not available:
- Open control panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen. Alternate method: tap Search, then type Control Panel in the search box.
- Within Control Panel under Network and Internet click on View network status and tasks.
- Click on Set up a new connection or network.
- Under Choose a connection option click on manually connect to a wireless network and click Next.
- Enter the Network name: BSU or NTC and the Security type: WPA2-Enterpise and the Encryption type: AES. Leave Start this connection automatically checked and click Next.
- On the Successful added BSU or NTC screen click Change connection settings to bring up the BSU or NTC wireless network properties dialog box.
2. Click on the Security tab and verify that the Security type is WPA2-Enterprise and Encryption type is AES.
3. The network authentication method should be Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP) click on Settings.
4. Verify the server’s identify by validating certificate should be checked and under Select Authentication Method it should be Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2) and click Configure..
5. Uncheck the box that says automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any) and click OK.
6. Click on Advanced Settings and check Specify authentication mode: select user authentication.
7. Click Save credentials and enter your StarID login credentials and click OK.
– StarID@live.bemidjistate.edu (for BSU students) and StarID@bemidjistate.edu (for BSU faculty and staff)
– StarID@live.ntcmn.edu (for NTC students) and StarID@ntcmn.edu (for NTC faculty and staff)
8. Click OK out of the Advanced Settings and OK out of the BSU or NTC wireless network properties box.
9. BSU or NTC network will automatically connect and stay connected for you.