The English Language Center at Bemidji welcomes all students, international and domestic, whose first language is not English. We are currently accepting applications for upcoming semesters.
Please note that this program is designed for students who fall just below the regular BSU English Proficiency requirements.
1. Requirements for admission to the English Language Center Only
- Submit a completed 2020-21 ELC Student Application
- Pay $20 application fee
- complete the Financial Section of this document and submit supporting bank statements dated within the last ninety days, affidavits of support from individual sponsors, or official letters from your sponsoring organizations showing evidence of the sponsorship.Total sponsorship and available funds must be equal to or greater than the Estimated Expenses listed for your first academic year. Please make sure all sections requiring your or your sponsor’s signature (if applicable) are signed.
- Submit proof of high school graduation with transcript and college transcripts if any.
- submit a scanned copy of the name/identification page of your passport
- Complete the International Student Agreement Form
2. Requirements for admission to the Pathway Program for English Language Learners
If your TOEFL score is below 61 but 50 or higher or your IELTS score is below 5.5 but 5 or higher, you may apply for admission to the BSU’s Pathway Program, in which you will take 2 undergraduate courses and 2 English language courses.
Application process and admission requirements for the Pathway Program are the same as those for undergraduate admissions except for the English proficiency test scores. To apply for admission, please go to Undergraduate Admissions
3. Students must meet the following conditions to exit the ELC and gain admission to the university:
• Pass all ELC courses with at least a B.
• Pass the ELC exit exam.
• Receive recommendations from all instructors and approval of the ELC Director.
International Students: Once you have successfully completed your ELC coursework or the Pathway Program, a new I-20 will be created for you for your new academic major at BSU. In
order to issue a new I-20, new financial paperwork will need to be submitted to BSU.
4. Conditional Admission to Graduate Programs at BSU
Conditional admission to our graduate school is allowed. If you are academically admissible to a graduate program other than the English language proficiency, you may start with the ELC and continue your graduate program after achieving the English Language Proficiency required by the school of graduate studies.
- Required supplemental documents may be scanned and emailed; we reserve the right to request original documents or certified true copies.
- English translations must accompany all native language documents.
- Please send the application documents via an international mail carrier (FedEx, UPS or DHL) to the International Program Center (IPC) office:
International Program Center
111 Deputy Hall
1500 Birchmont Dr. NE #13
Bemidji, MN 56601-2699
Once you are accepted to the ELC, you should complete an on-campus housing form. ELC students are required to live on the Bemidji State University campus. The ELC does not offer home stays with American families.