- Suicide Prevention Resources and Hotlines
- BSU Veteran’s Assistance Center
Center Staff can help you determine whether you’re eligible for the GI Bill, scholarships, disability services, personal counseling, tutoring, financial aid etc.
- ULifeline and Self-Evaluator/ Self-Assessment
BSU Counseling Center’s site at ULifeline which is an anonymous, confidential, online resource center, where college students can be comfortable searching for the information they need and want regarding mental health and suicide prevention.
- College Health/Mental Health Information
Helpful resources for college students and parents.
- Study Skills and Self-Help Information
Time management strategies, tips for improving test performance, strategies for improving concentration and memory
- Seasonal Affective Disorder, (SAD) Information
What is SAD?, How common is it?, Is there any treatment?
- Depression Overview at WebMD
Articles, blogs, support forums
- Addiction Information
Gambling, Food, Shopping, Drugs, Sex…What are these addictions? Who is affected by them?
- Internet Addiction
Recognizing Internet addiction, problems caused by it
Resources for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender students
- Half of Us – Hear stories from celebrities and other college students and get facts about mental health issues.
Mental Health Videos
- The need for increased access to mental health peer support and awareness on campus has brought a group of Bemidji State University students together to form a new Student Mental Health Advisory Board.
- Life Continued: Defeating Depression – a production of Soul Pancake and MTV, goes inside the lives of two young people from different parts of the country who fought their way through severe mental health struggles, but found hope and a path to recovery by taking steps to feel better and drawing strength from those around them.
- Emotional Health 101: struggling with the stress of college? You’re not alone.
Student Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection
The Student Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection is a collection of articles from university counseling centers across the U.S. on topics specific to student concerns. A virtual pamphlet put out by another university may refer to services available only to students at that university. BSU students should, of course, contact instead the BSU Counseling Center. Opinions expressed in a virtual pamphlet from one university do not necessarily reflect those of Bemidji State University.
Resources from the A.C. Clark Library
*Note – some resources require your Student ID to access
- Anxiety Disorders E-book , National Institute of Mental Health (2009)
- The Anxiety Cure: An Eight Step Program for Getting Well, Dupont, R.L, Spencer, E.D., and Dupont, C.M (2003)
- Triumph Over Shyness and Social Anxiety, Stein, M. and Walker, J. (2001)
- Always Embarrassed: Social Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder), National Institute of Mental Health (2007)
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) National Institute of Mental Health (2008)
- Eating Disorders, National Institute of Mental Health
- The Eating Disorder Sourcebook: A Comprehensive Guide to the Causes, Treatments, and Prevention of Eating Disorders, Costin, C. (1999)
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), National Institute of Mental Health
- Understanding Post-Traumatic Stress: A Psychosocial Perspective on PTSD and Treatment, Joseph, S. Williams, R. & Yule, W. (1997)
- Depression and College Students, National Institute of Mental Health
- Women and Depression: Discovering Hope, National Institute of Mental Health (2009)
- Depression E-book, National Institute of Mental Health (2008)
- Men and Depression,National Institute of Mental Health (2005)
- Dealing with Depression: A Commonsense Guide to Mood Disorders , Parker, G. & Straton, D. (2002)
- Dealing with Depression in 12 Step Recovery, Jack. (1990)
- Stories of Hope and Recovery: A Video Guide for Suicide Attempt Survivors, SAMHSA (2012)
- Bipolar Disorder, National Institute of Mental Health
Borderline Personality Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder, National Institute of Mental Health
- Schizophrenia, National Institute of Mental Health
Recovering From Mental Illness
- Making Recovery a Reality , Shepherd, G. Boardman, J. & Slade, M. (2008)
Loss of Loved Ones
- How to Survive the Loss of a Love, Colgrove, M. Bloomfield, H. & McWilliams, P. (1991)