Application and Eligibility Information
Upward Bound recruits students in January of each school year with participation in the program beginning in June.
- Currently in the 8th grade, but have not yet completed 11th grade and be between the ages of 13-19.
- Interest in attending college after high school.
- Neither parent or legal guardian(s) have graduated from a four year college/university AND/OR the participant’s family meets Federal low-income requirements.
- Attend one of the 7 area schools that Upward Bound provides services to: Bagley, Bemidji, Blackduck, Cass Lake, Mahnomen, Park Rapids or Red Lake High School.
How to Apply
1. Students complete the following application with their parents/guardians:
Give your completed participant application to your high school guidance counselor.
2. Students give the following English, Math and Science recommendation forms to their teachers to complete
Teachers give their completed recommendation forms to your guidance counselor.
3. Guidance Counselors complete the following recommendation form:
4. Guidance Counselors submit the complete application packet which includes:
- Participant Application
- English, Math, and Science Teacher Recommendations
- Guidance Counselor Recommendation
- Student’s most current school transcript and MCA scores
What Happens After You Have Applied
- Students will have an interview session with UB staff after the application deadline.
- Students will receive a letter by the middle of April notifying them of their application status.