What Does Upward Bound Expect Of Its Students?
Once a student is chosen for Upward Bound, there are high expectations set for the student’s academic and social performance. These expectations include the following:
- Participating in Upward Bound until graduating from high school
- Participating in Upward Bound activities including attending school visits and tutoring, completing UB assignments, and attending UB sponsored activities at Bemidji State.
- Enrolling in high school courses required for admission to higher education programs
- Maintaining 2.0 GPA (grade point average) throughout the program
- Achieving satisfactory academic progress in all classes, including GPA (grade point average) improvement each semester and having no incomplete classes.
- Applying for admission to a post-secondary education institution before January of the senior year in high school
- Maintaining communication with Upward Bound for six years after graduating from high school to report on academic progress and the continuation of education
- Exhibiting positive, friendly, cooperative and respectful behavior toward Upward Bound staff and fellow students
- Observing the rules and regulations of Upward Bound
- Not using tobacco products, alcohol, or abusing other substances (legal or illegal)