Beginning fall, 2014 the Dean's List criteria has changed.
Students admitted in fall, 2014 the Dean's list minimum GPA will be 3.5. For students admitted prior to fall, 2014, the GPA criteria will be 3.25. Beginning fall, 2020, the 3.5 GPA minimum will apply for all students. The Dean's List is published each semester and recognizes students who during that semester have earned a minimum GPA of 3.25 or 3.5 depending upon admittance date for twelve (12) or more semester credits of letter-graded (A, B, C, D, F) course work (does not include pass/no credit course work). Questions about the dean's list may be directed to 218-755-2015.
The University Communication's office (Telephone 218-755-2041) typically notifies the Deans' list honoree's home town newspaper within six weeks after the end of a semester.
- Summa cum laude: at least 3.90 GPA.
- Magna cum laude: at least 3.70, but less than 3.90 GPA.
- Cum laude: at least 3.50, but less than 3.70 GPA.
COMPUTATION OF GRADUATION HONORS
For instructions in calculating grade point average, see Grades and Grading later in this section.
- Students must complete a minimum of fifty (50) semester credits in residence of letter-graded ( A, B, C, D, F) course work.
Transfer students: 1) For transfer students with fifty (50) credits or more in residence, only the GPA earned at Bemidji State University is used in determining honors. 2) Transfer students who have earned a total of thirty (30) to forty-nine (49) credits in residence at Bemidji State University of letter-graded (A, B, C, D, F) course work may be considered for honors status if their cumulative grade point average (GPA) from each institution of higher education is at least 3.50. The lowest GPA earned determines the final level of honors.
- Honors at the time of the commencement ceremony are computed on the cumulative grades at the end of the semester prior to commencement exercises. However, actual degree honors will be based on the cumulative GPA at the time the degree is awarded.
- Incompletes are computed as “F” grades.