Requirements for All Baccalaureate Degrees (B.A., B.F.A., B.S., B.A.S.)
- General Scholarship - minimum cumulative 2.00 ("C") GPA. Some programs require higher GPAs, such as those in Professional Education, Nursing, Social Work, and Mass Communication. Please refer to the appropriate catalog sections.
- Major Field - minimum 2.25 GPA - the major field includes all courses taken at Bemidji State University in the area of study. Some majors require higher GPAs, such as those in Professional Education. Please refer to the appropriate catalog sections.
- Minor Field - minimum 2.00 GPA.
2. Graduation plan forms should be submitted for approval two (2) semesters before graduation. Forms are available online at the BSU Web site, www.bemidjistate.edu (click on Records).
3. All financial obligations, incomplete grades, or other course problems must be cleared by the end of the last semester before graduation.
4. Departmental approval for a major or minor in the department.
5. Successful completion of one-hundred twenty (120) semester credits minimum for all B.A., B.F.A., B.S., and B.A.S degrees, (select majors up to 136 minimum credits). Note: No credits from courses numbered 0800-0899 may be used to fulfill graduation requirements. A maximum of four (4) credits from courses numbered 0900-0999 may be used to fulfill graduation requirements.
6. A minimum of forty (40) semester credits at the 3000 level or above must be completed through four-year degree-granting institutions.
7. Thirty (30) residence semester credits must be completed through Bemidji State University.
8. Transfer Students: At least one-third of the credits to be included in the major, minor and/or certificate must be successfully completed at Bemidji State University. Some minors, and/or certificates require more than one-third of the credits be completed at Bemidji State University.
9. Students are encouraged to discuss with their advisor the option of a second major, minor, or field of emphasis that might strengthen or complement their major.
10. Minors: A minor must include at least one unique course from the major and/or certificate.
11. Certificates: A certificate must include at least one unique course from the major and/or minor.
12. Please note that for any degree program, completion of a major and a minor in the same discipline is not permitted.
13. Liberal Education requirements or completion of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
14. Contact the major department for specific information on screening criteria for entry into the major program.
Requirements for the Associate of Arts (A.A.) Degree
1. Sixty (60) semester credits minimum, meeting all Liberal Education requirements plus electives. All transfer students must complete a minimum of one semester at Bemidji State University. In addition, twenty (20) semester credits must be completed at Bemidji State University.
2. Minimum 2.00 ("C") GPA.
Students are encouraged to pursue more than one major to enhance their educational background. A student completing two or more majors with different degree designations will be awarded the degree associated with the primary major. However, if one of the majors is in a field of professional teaching, the B.S. degree shall be awarded. Graduation planning forms must be filed in the Records and Registration Office for all majors.
A student completing two or more majors with different degree designations (B.A., B.F.A., B.S., or B.A.S. only) who wishes both degrees will be required to complete at least thirty (30) additional semester credits beyond the first degree.
An A.A. degree will not be awarded simultaneously with or subsequent to a four-year degree.
A student who holds a baccalaureate degree from another regionally accredited institution may earn an additional baccalaureate degree from Bemidji State University by completing all of the course requirements for that degree with at least thirty (30) additional semester credits in residence at Bemidji State University.
Policy of Catalog Use
Students working toward an associate or baccalaureate degree may elect to fulfill degree requirements as outlined in any one catalog in effect during the dates of registration for resident credit at Bemidji State University. Students who have not attended the University for more than five (5) consecutive years prior to re-enrolling must meet all degree requirements as outlined in the catalog in effect at the date of their re-enrollment or any subsequent catalog in effect during their dates of registration for University credit. Students admitted to the University directly from a Minnesota community college may, provided not more than two (2) consecutive semesters have elapsed since their attendance at the community college, elect to fulfill degree requirements as outlined in any BSU catalog in effect during their dates of attendance at the Minnesota community college, or any subsequent catalog in effect during their dates of registration at Bemidji State University. This provision does not apply to State Teaching Licensure requirements.
Students should decide as early as possible which catalog is to be used in meeting degree requirements, and follow the curriculum outlined therein.