Music Education, B.S.
Vocal/Classroom K-12 Specialization (Teacher Licensure)
Music Education, B.S.
Instrumental/Classroom K-12 Specialization (Teacher Licensure)
Instrumental Performance Emphasis
Vocal Performance Emphasis
Piano Performance and Pedagogy Emphasis
- Music, B.A. major
- Music minor
- Arts Management cert
The primary mission of the Music Department at Bemidji State University is to prepare students for professional careers in music. Accordingly, all students who wish to major in music must complete an audition (please contact the Music Department for details). The faculty recognizes the need for excellence within a broad liberal education, so the department places equal emphasis on music education, performance, and theoretical/historical study in its degree offerings. The department, an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music, also maintains a cultural leadership and development role locally and regionally, while striving to achieve a national and international reputation.
The specific objectives of the Department of Music are
1. to provide students interested in teaching careers with the professional knowledge and skills necessary for success in the field;
2. to train students to become critical, independent, creative musicians with the necessary background in applied music (private instruction in voice/instrument), music theory, music history and literature, keyboard skills, sight-reading, and music technology; and to become full participants in music professions;
3. to provide all students of the university with opportunities to enrich themselves through participation in Music Department ensembles, academic courses, and applied lessons, and through attendance at concerts, recitals, and lectures;
4. to develop the creative potential of the region through workshops, performances, and a summer music camp.
- Arts Administrator
- Music Librarian
- Also: Graduate Study
PreparationRecommended High School Courses
- Music Ensembles
- Music Theory
- Music Appreciation
- Performance Groups
- Private Music/Vocal Lessons
- Attendance at Performances
General Information and Requirements For All Music Majors and Minors
A Student Handbook outlining Department of Music procedures and policies is available in the Department of Music Office, Bangsberg 201.
All new majors and minors (including transfer students) are required to arrange for a personal interview with the department chair during the first week of classes. An advisor from the department will be assigned at that time.
All new music majors and minors must take the Music Theory and Ear training placement examination.
All music majors are required to register for a major performing organization each semester they are on campus.
A student may be required to validate course work that was completed more than seven (7) years prior to graduation and is to be included in the music major or minor. Only courses with grades of C or better may be validated. The student may be required to repeat such courses or take additional course work.
All B.A. music majors and minors are encouraged to pursue the study of a foreign language.
All music majors are required to give a Degree Recital during an academic term when they are enrolled at an appropriate level of applied instruction.