Psychology, B.A. major
The Psychology major at BSU provides students with unique opportunities to prepare for work in applied psychology and the human services at the Bachelor’s level. The major also offers unique opportunities for students to prepare for graduate programs leading to Master’s and Doctoral degrees in various fields of psychological practice and science. Many students choose the major to complete a general liberal arts degree or to prepare for work in fields other than psychology.
Required Credits: 49
Required GPA: 2.25
I REQUIRED COURSES
COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING COURSES:
- PSY 1100 Introductory Psychology (4 credits)
- PSY 2217 Abnormal Psychology (4 credits)
- PSY 2227 Learning and Cognition (4 credits)
- PSY 3237 Lifespan Development (4 credits)
- PSY 3401 Basic Statistics for Research (4 credits)
- PSY 3402 Research Methods (4 credits)
- PSY 4588 Multicultural Psychology (4 credits)
II REQUIRED ELECTIVES
Students should choose electives in the major that best match their interests and career goals. In consultation with their advisor, students should select 21 credits of elective courses as follows.
GROUP 1: ELECTIVES
Select a minimum of 12 additional credits of Psychology
courses at any level.
These credits may include Pre-Intership Seminar
(PSY 4870) and up to 6 credits of Internship in
Psychology (PSY 4970). Internships require senior
standing, completion of all relevant coursework and
consent of an advisor.
Additional credits from Research Lab may also be
included. An overall maximum of 6 credits from
Research Lab can be used to fulfill the 21 elective
requirement of the major (Group 1 and Group 2).
General Elective credits may also include a course from
outside the department of Psychology. In consultation
with their advisor, students may include up to 4
credits from one of the following courses from
outside the department.
- BIOL 1110 Human Biology (4 credits)
- BIOL 1400 Cellular Principles (4 credits)
- BIOL 3150 Animal Behavior (3 credits)
- CRJS 3307 Victimological Theory and Practice (3 credits)
- CRJS 4487 Principles of Criminal Justice Supervision (3 credits)
- HLTH 3500 Community Health (3 credits)
- INST 1107 Introduction to Turtle Island (3 credits)
- INST 2202 Survivance Since Contact (3 credits)
- PHIL 2220 Ethics (3 credits)
- PHIL 2230 Logic (3 credits)
- PHIL 3330 Nineteenth Century Philosophy (3 credits)
- SOWK 2030 Introduction to Addictions (3 credits)
- SOWK 3201 Family: Dynamics and Intervention (3 credits)
- SOC 2230 Race and Ethnic Relations (3 credits)
- PSY 4447 Research Laboratory (1-4 credits)
- PSY 4970 Psychology Senior Internship (6-12 credits)
GROUP 2: 4000 - LEVEL ELECTIVES
Select a minimum of 9 credits of Psychology courses at
the 4000 level. These credits may include a maximum of
3 credits from Research Lab (PSY 4447). Credits from
Pre-Internship Seminar (PSY 4870), Teaching
Assistantships (PSY 4917) and Internship in
Psychology (PSY 4970) may not be included.