Choose a Catalog:  

2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog | 20243



Academic Year

Bemidji State University functions on an academic semester system consisting of fall and spring semesters of approximately sixteen (16) weeks each, and a summer term. Credits earned during summer term may be applied toward the fulfillment of degree requirements.

Exceptions and Course Substitutions

Any student who has cause to request an exception and/or course substitution to existing academic requirements must fill out the appropriate form to initiate the request. Students requesting an exception should submit a Refund/Drop/Withdrawal petition form to the Financial Appeals (FAC) Committee. Students requesting a course substitution should fill out a Substitute/Transfer Equivalency Form. The student's advisor and department chair should sign the form.  Forms should be returned to the Records and Registration Office after the appropriate signatures have been secured.

Schedule Conflicts

A student may not register for two or more courses scheduled to meet at the same time during a semester without the consent of both instructors.

Withdrawal from School

Complete withdrawal from all courses must be finished prior to the withdrawal deadline published in the Academic Calendar, except in hardship cases.

A "W" grade is assigned when students formally withdraw from a course for which they are financially responsible.

Failure to withdraw officially will result in "F" grades.

For refund information, see the section on Tuition and Fees.

Withdrawal may require repayment of financial aid and/or GI Bill® payments and reassessment of eligibility. For return to the University see "Readmission of Former Students" under the Admission section of this catalog.

Instructions for Complete Withdrawal from School

If you are withdrawing from ALL of your classes, you are advised to complete the following steps:

If you would like to speak to a counselor or faculty member about any academic or personal circumstances related to your withdrawal:
You are encouraged to stop by the Student Health and Counseling Center in Cedar Hall or call 755-2053 to set up a confidential meeting, or contact your academic advisor.

If you live in the residence halls and/or have a meal plan:
Contact Housing and Residential Life in Walnut Hall, 755-3750, to terminate your Residential Life Contract and receive directions for proper checkout procedures.

If you received any type of financial aid:
Contact the Financial Aid Office in Deputy 114, 755-2034, to address the following: 1) repayment of aid received if you are withdrawing prior to 60% of the term being completed; 2) your eligibility for future financial aid when you return to school; and 3) exit student loan information.

If you received a Perkins Loan:
Contact the Loan Repayment Office in Deputy 203, 755-2095, for an exit interview and to update your Perkins Loan information. Knowing your rights and responsibilities in relation to this loan may help you in future funding and enrollment.

All students withdrawing must:
Contact the Cashier’s Office in Deputy 202, 755-2046, to determine if you are to receive a refund or if a financial aid repayment is necessary.

Finally, you must withdraw from all your classes prior to the last day to withdraw as published in the semester class schedule by:
Web Registration: Go to the BSU homepage ( under myBSU, then e-Services.

Questions? Need assistance? Check out the last few pages of the class schedule for further information or stop by the Records and Registration Office, Deputy 101, or the Office of Student Life & Success, Deputy 313.

Senior Citizens