Choose a Catalog:  

2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog | 20243

Grades & Grading

Grade Point Average (GPA)

1. The grade point average is computed by dividing the number of quality points earned by the number of semester credits attempted for which grades of A, B, C, D, or F were given. Quality points for each course are calculated by multiplying the number of semester credits by the points awarded for the grade achieved in that course. Grade points are shown under "Grade Types" below.

For example, a student who received an A, two B's, and one C, each grade from a three semester credit course, would have the following GPA:

    A x 3 semester credits = 4 x 3 = 12 quality points
    B x 3 semester credits = 3 x 3 = 9 quality points
    B x 3 semester credits = 3 x 3 = 9 quality points
    C x 3 semester credits = 2 x 3 = 6 quality points

    12 semester credits - 36 quality points
    36 quality points divided by 12 semester credits = 3.00 GPA      

2. Only the most recent grade of a repeated course will be used in computing the GPA. The first grade will be removed from the computation of the GPA once a Repeat Form is submitted to the Records and Registration Office. (See "Repeating Courses".)

3. Only credits taken at Bemidji State University or on the Common Market Program will be used in computing the GPA. (See "Common Market Program" under Academic Degrees and Programs.)

4. All BSU courses taken in the major and minor areas count in the computation of those GPAs and, therefore, must be taken for a letter grade.

Grade Types

The work of a student is recorded as follows:

    A+  (4.0 quality points)
    A    (4.0 quality points) | excellent
    A-   (3.67 quality points)
    B+  (3.33 quality points)
    B    (3.0 quality points) | very good
    B-   (2.67 quality points)
    C+  (2.33 quality points)
    C    (2.0 quality points) | average
    C-   (1.67 quality points)
    D+  (1.33 quality points)
    D    (1.0 quality point) | passing
    D-   (0.67 quality point)
    F    (0.0 quality points) | failure
    I - incomplete*
    IP - in-progress*
    Z - no grade reported by the instructor
    NC - no credit*
    P - pass*
    S - satisfactory*
    U - unsatisfactory*
    AU - audit *
    W - withdraw (drop)*
    EX -exchange*

*Additional information in "Grade Explanations" below.

The records of all courses completed prior to spring quarter 1975 are microfilmed and stored at Northwest Technical College, Bemidji, MN.  Subsequent grade records are stored and backed up on computer disks.

Grade Explanations

I - Incomplete: To be used when prior arrangement is made between the student and the instructor or in the case of a verifiable emergency situation. An incomplete must be resolved by the end of the next regular term; otherwise, the grade is a failure and is so recorded. Any exception must be petitioned and approved by the Student Program and Admission Committee (petition forms in the Records and Registration Office). After one (1) year these grades may be discounted from the grade point average only when the courses are repeated. All "I" (Incomplete) grades must be resolved before a degree will be conferred.

IP - In-Progress: The student may, with the instructor's prior approval, be granted a grade of "IP" (In Progress) for an independent study project (e.g., thesis or research paper) or special course for which completion of the course within one semester may not normally be anticipated. All "IP" (In Progress) grades must be removed before a degree will be conferred.

S or U - Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory: Some courses, such as student teaching, internships, and some workshops, are offered only with the "S or U" grade designation. Letter grades are not available for these courses.

P, NC, or A - Pass, No Credit, or A Option: A student may enroll in certain courses on a Pass/No Credit (P/NC) basis by petitioning the Records and Registration Office. No letter grade is assigned unless a grade of "A" is achieved and then that grade is so recorded. Semester credits earned on a Pass/No Credit basis are not included in the computation of the student's grade point average (GPA), but the pass semester credits count toward graduation. If an "A" grade is achieved, it is included in the GPA computation. Pass/No Credit grades become a part of the student's permanent record. The option to register on a Pass/No Credit basis may be exercised until the end of the tenth class day of a semester (fourth day of class during summer term). The Pass/No Credit registrant is obligated to complete all course requirements and to take all examinations. The following restrictions apply to Pass/No Credit registration:

  • Pass/No Credit courses may not be used as part of a major, a minor, an emphasis, or Core Curriculum.
  • Professional Education courses and courses required for teacher licensure may not be taken Pass/No Credit.
  • Courses offered on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis may not be taken Pass/No Credit.
  • No more than one class per semester (regardless of semester credit) may be taken Pass/No Credit.
  • No more than thirteen (13) semester credits may be accrued for graduation using the Pass/No Credit grading option.
  • A student who is on academic probation may not register for any course on a Pass/No Credit basis, unless it is in excess of the twelve (12) semester credits of letter grade (A, B, C, D, or F) course work required.
  • No class taken initially for a letter grade may be repeated on a Pass/No Credit basis.
  • A petition to take a class on a Pass/No Credit must be filed with the Records Office by the 10th day of the semester.

AU-Audit Option: Students who desire to take a course without credit and without regard for the usual prerequisites may enroll as "audit." These students must notify the instructor that they are auditing. Students taking a course as 'audit' must pay the regular tuition and fees required of other students, but they are not permitted to take examinations. Audited courses do not earn credits and therefore cannot be counted toward graduation requirements or as part of the student's course load. Grades are recorded only as "AU" - audit. A petition to take a class as 'Audit' must be filed with the Records Office by the 15th day of the semester.

W-Withdraw: Given to students who withdraw prior to the withdrawal deadline published in the Academic Calendar from a class for which they are financially responsible. No one may withdraw from class after that time except in special hardship cases. (Course withdrawal dates can be seen when selecting the course title within eServices/Courses & Registration /Search for a Course. Please contact the Records Office with questions.)

EX-Exchange: Eligible students have the option of taking courses at other state universities while maintaining their residency at Bemidji State University. These courses are designated with an EX grade and are considered “residence credits” for all other university policies (GPA computation, residency requirements, etc.).