Requirements for All Baccalaureate Degrees (B.A., B.F.A., B.S., B.A.S.)
- General Scholarship - minimum cumulative 2.00 ("C") GPA. Some programs require higher GPAs. Please refer to the appropriate catalog sections.
- Major Field - minimum 2.25 GPA - the major field includes all courses taken at Bemidji State University in the area of study. Some majors require higher GPAs. Please refer to the appropriate catalog sections.
- Minor Field - minimum 2.00 GPA. Some minors require higher GPAs. Please refer to the appropriate catalog sections.
2. Graduation plan forms should be submitted to the Records Office for approval two (2) semesters before graduation.
3. All financial obligations, incomplete grades, or other course problems must be cleared by the end of the last semester before graduation.
4. Departmental approval for a major or minor in the department.
5. Successful completion of one-hundred twenty (120) semester credits minimum for all B.A., B.F.A., B.S., and B.A.S degrees, (select majors up to 136 minimum credits). Note: No credits from courses numbered 0800-0899 may be used to fulfill graduation requirements. A maximum of four (4) credits from courses numbered 0900-0999 may be used to fulfill graduation requirements.
6. A minimum of forty (40) semester credits at the 3000 level or above must be completed through four-year degree-granting institutions.
7. Thirty (30) residence semester credits must be completed through Bemidji State University.
8. Transfer Students: At least one-third of the credits to be included in the major, minor and/or certificate must be successfully completed at Bemidji State University. Some minors, and/or certificates require more than one-third of the credits be completed at Bemidji State University.
9. Students are encouraged to discuss with their advisor the option of a second major, minor, or field of emphasis that might strengthen or complement their major.
10. Multiple credentials: Any additional major, minor or certificate in a degree must be significantly different from the majors and any other minors or certificates in the degree. Unless stated otherwise in the catalog significantly different means at least six credits of course work that is not used to meet the requirements of any other single major, minor, or certificate in the degree.
IMPLEMENTATION AND TRANSITION PERIOD:
This policy goes into effect Spring 2022. The prior version of this policy also remains in effect as an option through Fall 2023. The prior version is only used if a student graduating during this transition period (Spring 22 – Fall 23) does not meet the requirements under the new policy but does meet the requirements under the prior version of the policy.
11. For any degree program, completion of a major, minor or a certificate in the same discipline (as determined by the department and college) is not permitted.
12. Core Curriculum requirements or completion of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
13. Contact the major department for specific information on screening criteria for entry into the major program.
Requirements for the Associate of Arts (A.A.) Degree
1. Sixty (60) semester credits minimum, meeting all Core Curriculum requirements plus electives. All transfer students must complete a minimum of one semester at Bemidji State University. In addition, twenty (20) semester credits must be completed at Bemidji State University.
2. Minimum 2.00 ("C") GPA.
Students are encouraged to pursue more than one major to enhance their educational background. A student completing two or more majors with different degree designations will be awarded the degree associated with the primary major. However, if one of the majors is in a field of professional teaching, the B.S. degree shall be awarded. Graduation planning forms must be filed in the Records and Registration Office for all majors.
A student completing two or more majors with different degree designations (B.A., B.F.A., B.S., or B.A.S. only) who wishes both degrees will be required to complete at least thirty (30) additional semester credits beyond the first degree.
An A.A. degree will not be awarded simultaneously with or subsequent to a four-year degree.
A student who holds a baccalaureate degree from another regionally accredited institution may earn an additional baccalaureate degree from Bemidji State University by completing all of the course requirements for that degree with at least thirty (30) additional semester credits in residence at Bemidji State University.
Policy of Catalog Use
Students working toward an associate or baccalaureate degree may elect to fulfill degree requirements as outlined in any one catalog in effect during the dates of registration for resident credit at Bemidji State University. Students who have not attended the University for more than five (5) consecutive years prior to re-enrolling must meet all degree requirements as outlined in the catalog in effect at the date of their re-enrollment or any subsequent catalog in effect during their dates of registration for University credit. Students admitted to the University directly from a Minnesota community college may, provided not more than two (2) consecutive semesters have elapsed since their attendance at the community college, elect to fulfill degree requirements as outlined in any BSU catalog in effect during their dates of attendance at the Minnesota community college, or any subsequent catalog in effect during their dates of registration at Bemidji State University. This provision does not apply to State Teaching Licensure requirements.
Students should decide as early as possible which catalog is to be used in meeting degree requirements, and follow the curriculum outlined therein.