Choose a Catalog:  

2022-2023 Graduate Catalog

Graduate: Academic Policies

Academic Year

Bemidji State University functions on an academic semester system consisting of fall and spring semesters of approximately sixteen (16) weeks each, and a summer term. Credits earned during summer term may be applied toward the fulfillment of degree requirements.

Exceptions and Course Substitutions

Transfer credits are only accepted from colleges and universities that are regionally accredited and from approved international universities that offer a master's degree program.

  • A transfer or substitutions of course credit(s) requires approval by petition(Graduate Petition-Form 6)
  • A minimum letter grade of "B" (3.00) must be associated with each course to be transferred as a core requirement or elective.
  • A maximum of ten (10) semester credits or equivalent will be considered in transfer, and all transferred course work must have been completed within the seven [7] years before the conferment of a BSU master's degree.
  • Course work to be transferred into the guided electives category, in which a non-letter grade was received, will not be considered.
  • Transferred courses will apply for credit only; grades of transferred courses will not be included in the computation of the Bemidji State University grade point average.
  • All course work to be considered as transfer courses or substitutions must have the approval of the advisor, program director and/or department chair, College Dean, and Director, School of Graduate Studies and is reviewed on a student-by-student basis.
  • Requests to register at another institution for the purpose of transferring credit into the program of study should receive advanced petition approval.
  • Official transcripts must be on file before transfer credits are posted to student's BSU transcript.

Any student who has cause to request an exception and/or course substitution to existing academic requirements must fill out a Graduate Petition to initiate the request. Students requesting an exception should submit a petition to the appropriate department, dean and School of Graduate studies. The student's advisor, department chair and dean must sign the form.


Students must register for at least 1 course credit for each semester until completion of the degree program.  All requirements must be met to obtain a licensure or degree from Bemidji State University, it is quite possible that a student may have the required number of credits for a degree but has not finished all required components of the degree which necessitates continuous enrollment until all requirements are fully me and the student has successfully petitioned to graduate.  Students must be registered during the semester in which the degree or licenses is conferred.

Withdrawal from School

Complete withdrawal from all courses must be finished prior to the withdrawal deadline published in the   Academic Calendar, except in hardship cases.

A "W" grade is assigned when students formally withdraw from a course for which they are financially responsible.

Failure to withdraw officially will result in "F" grades.

For refund information, see  Tuition and Fees

Withdrawal may require repayment of financial aid and/or GI Bill payments and reassessment of eligibility. For return to the University see contact the Graduate Office or Admissions Office.



A change of degree or program requires approval by petition (Graduate Petition-Form 6).



A course taken at the undergraduate level cannot be retaken for credit at the graduate level. An appropriate course and credit substitution or waiver must be made.