The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree is a practical and flexible degree program culminating in a capstone experience which aligns to a student’s area of emphasis.
The MAT program consists of 35 total credits that include 18 credits in core courses and 15 credits in elective courses; students must also complete a two-credit final course. Elective courses could include standards of effective practice (SEP’s), which are courses leading to a secondary education teaching license. Current licensed teachers may choose another option to enhance their teaching career; i.e. Reading, Special Education Licensure, Math, etc.
Please note: the MAT by itself is not a licensure-granting degree, but students may complete additional coursework in one of our licensure-only programs (i.e. FasTrack or Special Education Licensure) to become professionally licensed. For complete options, contact the Program Coordinator.
For complete current program requirements, please go to the current catalog; select Graduate Programs located on the right side.
Open enrollment; Fall semester and Summer Session applicants should submit their application and additional materials by April 1 for preferred consideration.
- Graduate Application for Admission — Apply Here!
- $20 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts of bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Overall undergraduate GPA: 3.00
- Two letters of recommendation from a previous employer/professor
- Copy of Teaching license requested (if unavailable please contact us)
- One-page letter of intent answering the following (limit each response to 50 words):
- Why do you want to be in the graduate program?
- Explain your background in education or in your current degree field.
- What do you plan to use this degree for?
- Please note that graduate students enrolled in an online program are not eligible for an I-20 to study within the United States.
- International students must also provide Proof of English Proficiency.
Tuition & Aid
We offer in-state/reciprocity tuition rates to all of our graduate students. Please visit the Financial Aid website for more information on options for funding your education.
Some students may qualify for a graduate assistantship, which includes a tuition waiver and stipend. GAs, in return, are expected to complete certain teaching and/or research assignments for the department.