Bemidji State University’s Dr. Misty Wilkie, associate professor of nursing and Niganawenimaanaanig program director, facilitated the Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action webinar entitled “Creating Healthier Communities: Native American Nursing Students’ Experiences and the Role of Mentoring” on Dec. 4.
Niganawenimaanaanig students Jacqueline Allen, a sophomore from Flandreau, South Dakota, Alexa Brunelle, a senior from Cass Lake, Minnesota and Terry Defoe, a senior from Tower, Minnesota, also participated in the webinar sharing their experiences as Native American nursing students and the importance of mentoring.
The webinardiscussed how to create healthier communities through strategies to support Native American nurses and was designed to help participants:
- Understand Native American nursing students’ experiences preparing for and being accepted to nursing school.
- Recognize the challenges and barriers to nursing program completion for Native American students.
- Understand the influences and factors that have contributed to Native American students’ success.
- Describe the role and impact mentoring has played in the students’ education.
- Identify recommendations for future efforts to support Native American nursing students’ success.
- Dr. Misty Wilkie, associate professor of nursing and Niganawenimaanaanig program director; (218) 755-2715, email@example.com
- Creating Healthier Communities: Native American Nursing Students’ Experiences and the Role of Mentoring webinar
- Niganawenimaanaanig program
Bemidji State University, located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota, occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. Enrolling more than 5,100 students, Bemidji State offers more than 80 undergraduate majors and eight graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 550. The university’s Shared Fundamental Values include environmental stewardship, civic engagement and international and multicultural understanding. For more, visit bemidjistate.edu or find us at BemidjiState on most of your favorite social media networks.