The Master of Special Education (MSpEd) is an online applied degree designed for teachers who wish to enhance their knowledge about special education.
The Master of Special Education emphasizes application of theory to practice through field experiences in each course. A majority of the required credit hours in the Master of Special Education degree are based on the Council of Exceptional Children (CEC) and the Minnesota Special Education Licensure Standards. The remaining credit hours are research-based and facilitate the planning for and development of an application project.
By completing three additional required licensure courses a Master in Special Education candidate, who already has a teaching degree, can obtain ASD, EBD and/or SLD special education teaching licensure(s) in addition to the master’s degree. Note: Completing this master’s degree does not automatically provide licensure.
For complete current program requirements, please go to the current catalog; select Graduate Programs located on the right side.
Open enrollment; Fall semester applicants should submit their application and additional materials by April 1 for preferred consideration.
- Graduate Application for Admission — Apply Here!
- $20 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts of bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Overall undergraduate GPA: 3.00
- Copy of Teaching license requested (if unavailable please contact us)
- Two letters of recommendation from employers, colleagues, administrators, or professors.
- One-page formal letter of intent explaining
- Why you want to complete a master’s degree in special education
- How your background in education or in your current degree field has prepared you for working with students special needs
- How you plan to use this degree
- Please note that graduate students enrolled in an online program are not eligible for an I-20 to study within the United States.
- International students must also provide Proof of English Proficiency.
Tuition & Aid
We offer in-state/reciprocity tuition rates to all of our graduate students. Please visit the Financial Aid website for more information on options for funding your education.
BSU Master in Special Education Rating on Affordability
Some students may qualify for a graduate assistantship, which includes a tuition waiver and stipend. GAs, in return, are expected to complete certain teaching and/or research assignments for the department.