Bemidji State University congratulates seven alumni who were successful in their election bids during the Nov. 8 general election. BSU alumni won re-election bids for City of Bemidji mayor, two seats on the Bemidji City Council, two seats in the Minnesota House of Representatives and one Minnesota State Senator, while another will serve his first term on the City of Bemidji School Board.
Bemidji State alumni who won their elections include:
- Rita Albrecht, re-elected as mayor of Bemidji. It will be Albrecht’s third term as mayor.
- Bob Dettmer, re-elected to Minnesota’s House of Representatives in District 39A. The Forest Lake, Minn., Republican will be be serving his seventh term in the House.
- Dr. John Gonzalez, associate professor of psychology, was elected to the Bemidji School Board. It will be Gonzalez’s first term on the board.
- Ron Johnson, re-elected to Bemidji City Council as representative of Ward 3. It will be the fifth term on the council for Johnson.
- Michael Meehlhause, re-elected to Bemidji City Council as representative of Ward 1. It will be his second term on the council.
- Marion O’Neill, re-elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives District 29B. It will be the Maple Lake, Minn., Republican’s fourth term in the House.
- Torrey Westrom, re-elected to the Minnesota State Senate District 12. It will be the Elbow Lake, Minn., Republican’s fifth term in the state Senate.
In addition, Northwest Technical College alumnus Brian Daniels won re-election in the Minnesota House of Representatives’ District 24B. The Faribault, Minn., Republican will be serving his second term as a state representative.
Information used in this story was compiled by BSU’s Office of Communications and Marketing from a variety of online news sources and is based on our best available information. If there are additions to this list, please contact us and let us know.
Bemidji State University, located in northern Minnesota’s lake district, occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. A member of the colleges and universities of Minnesota State, Bemidji State offers more than 80 undergraduate majors and 11 graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. Bemidji State has an enrollment of more than 5,100 students and a faculty and staff of more than 550. University signature themes include environmental stewardship, civic engagement and global and multi-cultural understanding.