In keeping with Article 4.8, Emeritus Status, of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board Policy, “The award of emeritus status is intended as a special honor for system employees who have served with great distinction. Recognition as emeritus shall not be awarded as a matter of due course, and is granted only to those whose service has been most exemplary.”
To be awarded emeritus status at Bemidji State University, an employee must have:
- 15 years of service to Bemidji State University;
- Retired from the position at Bemidji State University for which emeritus status would be conferred (faculty/service faculty);
- Established a record of distinguished and exemplary service while employed in the position; and
- Completed employment in the position in good standing.
Those who receive the distinction of “emeritus” or “emerita” are considered ambassadors of Bemidji State University, which carries the responsibility of engaging in behavior and activities that promote the well-being of the University.
The University reserves the right to suspend or terminate some or all benefits for just cause. In this case, the emeritus faculty/staff will be notified of the action and the reason for the action and may appeal to the President or his/her designee. The decision of the President is final.
Benefits (this section will be reviewed in accordance with the policy review procedures and is subject to change):
- Complimentary campus parking permit
- Lifetime Activities pass with access to cultural events (except invitation only events) and NSIC athletic events (except for playoffs)
- Listing on the university website
- Invitation to social activities hosted by the President and/or Alumni Association
- Lifetime library borrowing, interlibrary loan, and remote access to databases
Volunteer opportunities: Without emoluments or wages (may include):
- Assisting with alumni events and correspondence
- Serving as event ambassadors
- Supporting Continuing Education and Outreach programs
- International programs
- Student recruitment
- Campus beautification