Your rights as a transfer student
- You are to receive a clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policies. See BSU’s policy here: BSU Formal Credit Transfer Policy
- You are entitled to a fair transfer credit review and an explanation regarding any credits not accepted.
- You are entitled to receive a copy of the institution’s formal appeals process, outlined below.
- Upon your request, you may receive a review of eligibility for financial aid and/or scholarship(s).
Transfer credit appeals – Department review
If your transfer credit evaluation results in courses not transferred, or transferred as general or technical electives only (and thus not used in your major or core curriculum requirements):
- Download the Substitute/Transfer Course Equivalency form and follow the instructions to obtain the necessary signatures.
- Return the completed form to the BSU Records Office, as indicated on the form. Consideration of your request may require additional information including a course syllabus, detailed course description, outlines, reading list, text(s) used, etc., if not previously supplied.
- Faculty in the appropriate academic department(s) will review your request.
- You will receive a written explanation of the outcome of the request including the rationale for the decision.
Second appeal – Academic Affairs review
If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the Substitute/Transfer Course Equivalency process, you may appeal to the Dean of the appropriate college, or to the Provost in the case your appeal includes a core curriculum/liberal education request. This second appeal should include the letter from the first appeal and your rationale for further consideration. The Dean or Provost will provide a decision, in writing, explaining the rationale for their decision.
Third appeal – MinnState System Office review
If you are unsatisfied with the Dean’s decision, you have the right to appeal to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs of the Minnesota State Colleges and University System. See Part 7, Subpart B for Minnesota State’s System Level Appeals Process.
The Director of Transfer Operations may assist if you have questions about this process. Contact Bonner Karger at 218-755-2174 or via email at email@example.com.