Transfer Appeals

Your Rights as a Transfer Student

  • You are to receive a clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policies. See BSU’s policy here: BSU Formal Credit Transfer Policy
  • You are entitled to a fair transfer credit review and an explanation regarding any credits not accepted.
  • You are entitled to receive a copy of the institution’s formal appeals process, outlined below.
  • Upon your request, you may receive a review of eligibility for financial aid and/or scholarship(s).

Process for Transfer Credit Appeals

If your transfer credit evaluation results in courses not transferred, or transferred as general or technical electives only (and thus not used in your major or liberal education requirements):

  1. Download the Substitute/Transfer Course Equivalency form and follow the instructions to obtain the necessary signatures.
  2. Return the completed form to the BSU Records Office,as indicated on the form. Consideration of your request may require additional information including a course syllabus, detailed course description, outlines, reading list, text(s) used, etc., if not previously supplied.
  3. The appropriate academic department(s) will review your request.
  4. You will receive a written explanation of the outcome of the request including the rationale for the decision.

Appealing the Transfer Determination

If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the Substitute/Transfer Course Equivalency process, you may appeal to the Dean of the appropriate college. This second appeal should include the letter from the committee and your rationale for further consideration. The Dean will provide a decision, in writing, explaining the rationale for his or her decision.

Third Appeal

If you are unsatisfied with the Dean’s decision, you have the right to appeal to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs of the Minnesota State Colleges and University System. See Part 7, Subpart B for Minnesota State’s System Level Appeals Process.

View the Minnesota State Transfer Rights & Responsibilities Policy here.

The Associate Director of Transfer Enrollment can assist if you have questions about this process. Contact Bonner Karger at 218-755-2174 or via email at