Bemidji State University TRIO Student Support Services offers eligible students services designed to help participants be successful at BSU, graduate and even go on to post-graduate school.
TRIO SSS offers four for-credit courses designed to help participants be successful in college and prepare for professional careers. They include:
- TRIO SSS College Orientation (UNIV 1180)
- Critical Reading and Analysis (UNIV 1199)
- Life Career Planning (UNIV 1200)
- Capstone for TRIO Students (UNIV 3200)
The credits earned in TRIO SSS courses count as general electives toward graduation.
Don’t let confusion and uncertainty hold you back from achieving your academic goals. Let our academic advisors help you create a clear path to success.
Our SSS faculty members will provide you with personalized guidance to help you:
- Choose the right courses and create a road map to complete your liberal education and major requirements
- Solve any academic problems that may arise and persist to graduation
- Review your transcripts and make sure you’re on track to meet graduation requirements
- Prepare for post-graduate education by counseling you on graduate school requirements and application procedures
Our tutors are here to provide you with confidential, one-on-one or small group tutoring sessions that fit into your schedule, go at your pace and focus on your specific needs. With our help, you can:
- Improve your academic skills and knowledge
- Boost your GPA and become more engaged in classes
- Increase your confidence in your abilities
Don’t let a challenging class hold you back from reaching your full potential. Take advantage of our free tutoring services and get the help you need to succeed — or become a tutor yourself.
Feeling overwhelmed with personal issues and unsure of where to turn for help? Let the caring faculty and staff at TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) be there for you. Our open-door policy means that we’re always here to provide you with individualized support and advice. We can help you with:
- Personal concerns and provide appropriate referrals to on- and off-campus resources
- Career direction and provide appropriate referrals to BSU departments and BSU Career Services
During your first semester at BSU, our experienced TRIO-SSS participants will meet with you regularly and serve as a valuable resource for you. They will assist you with:
- Learning about the campus and its resources
- Developing vital personal and academic skills
- Creating a sense of community and belonging
Starting college can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to go through it alone. Our peer mentors are here to help you make a smooth transition and feel confident in your new surroundings.
Find a sense of community and connection with other students who share similar backgrounds and experiences. As a participant, you’ll have the opportunity to engage in community building with other first-generation, low-income students and students with disabilities through:
- Enrollment in TRIO SSS courses
- Peer mentoring by upperclass SSS participants who provide a student perspective on how to navigate the campus and guide you toward academic and personal success
- Social and cultural events designed to build community and foster an appreciation and awareness of diversity
Don’t go through the college journey alone — join a community of supportive peers who understand your experiences and can provide you with valuable guidance and support.
Financial Aid and Scholarship Advising
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) can help you navigate the often-confusing world of financial aid and scholarships. We offer a range of services to assist you, including:
- Financial aid advising and award letter review
- Assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Assistance identifying and applying for scholarships and alternative financial aid sources
- Scholarship information for study abroad programs
- Financial Literacy Workshops to educate you about basic personal income, budgeting, household money management and financial planning skills.