Bemidji State University
We educate people to lead inspired lives.
We create an innovative, interdisciplinary and highly accessible learning environment committed to student success and a sustainable future for our communities, state and planet. Through the transformative power of the liberal arts, education in the professions, and robust engagement of our students, we instill and promote service to others, preservation of the earth, and respect and appreciation for the diverse peoples of our region and world.
Shared Fundamental Values
Through the sum of their educational experience at Bemidji State, students will have multiple opportunities to learn about, experience, and reflect on the University’s Shared Fundamental Values of:
- Civic engagement and leadership
- International and multicultural understanding
- Belief in the power of the liberal arts
- Environmental stewardship
These core values guide Bemidji States curriculum and services. Not tightly defined, they invite interpretation and discovery.
Dimensions of Student Learning at Bemidji State
Liberal Education and other programs use the Dimensions of Student Learning for self-assessment.
- Intellectual Development
- Higher Order Thinking: Use critical thinking and appropriate frameworks for
- Knowledge, Value and Abilities Related to the Arts, Humanities, Sciences and Specialized Fields of Study: Understand concepts, ideas, and theories from various disciplines and abilities associated with specialized fields of
- Understanding of Self/Relating to Others
- Values: Examine, evaluate, and express
- Communication: Present ideas clearly and effectively in visual, written, and oral
- Human Diversity: Recognize the experiences and contributions of diverse groups and
- Self Development: Demonstrate awareness of concepts, knowledge, and actions which promote one’s well-being.
- Participation in an Emerging Global Society
- Readiness for Careers: Demonstrate knowledge, ethics and abilities as they relate to one’s specialization and career
- Responsible Citizenship: Participate as a contributing member of a changing global