An addictions certificate allows students to complete the course work to become a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC).

The Addictions Certificate curriculum prepares students through the educational requirements for alcohol and drug counseling licensure (LADC) within the state of MN to include course work, internship and licensure prep. Students will learn screening and assessment tools, how LADCs diagnose and make treatment recommendations and will participate in experiential activities to practice substance abuse counseling skills. This certificate pairs well with Social Work, Psychology and Criminal Justice majors allowing Social Work students who go on to graduate school to be licensed in addictions counseling as well as a clinically licensed social worker.

The curriculum also defines and incorporates trauma-informed, co-occurring and multicultural practices necessary to address the needs of individuals in the addictions field. Bemidji State University also welcomes returning students seeking LADC licensure and encourages professionals in the helping professions to become dually licensed.

This is an on-campus and online program, with courses meeting in the evenings to accommodate working students.

State of Minnesota Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) Certification

Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LADCs) observe, describe, evaluate, interpret and modify human behavior as it relates to the harmful or pathological use or abuse of alcohol or other drugs. Work settings can include private treatment facilities (inpatient and outpatient), detox facilities, half-way houses, correctional facilities, schools, hospitals and government facilities.

For information re: State of Minnesota Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) licensure contact:

Moni Awoyemi, LADC Licensing Coordinator
Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy
335 Randolph Avenue, Suite 290
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 201-2860

Licensure Process



Complete the LADC application in class during the internship*. Most professionals practicing in Minnesota will complete the Method D application. When filling out the application, pages 9, 10, and 11 do not need to be completed. Make sure to attach the course curriculum information sheet and you will also need to send the fee for the application. *You may send this application without the exam results and your transcripts. The transcripts and exam results should be sent to the board upon completion of your internship.


Students are encouraged to take the exam during the internship. Decide which exam is most appropriate**. There are two options for the exam portion. Both are approved by the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and both automatically send testing results to the board on your behalf after completion of the exam. Below is a table outlining the different aspects of the two exams. **Note: when looking at the exam information, ignore the certification language that you may see. Minnesota does not require a certification; it only requires the exam.

ItemInternational Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) ExamNational Certification Commission for Addiction Professionals (NCC AP)  
Organization that sponsors examMinnesota Certification BoardThe Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC)
Testing locationOn site at several locations across the state. The closest locations are Duluth, MN and Fargo, ND.Online. You may take this test online in your home or office.
Testing Type150 questions, multiple choice, true/false150 questions, multiple choice
Testing Duration3 hours3 hours
Testing ResultsTesters will get test results immediately after taking the testTesters will receive an email of their results 15 minutes after completion of the exam.
Study Guides/Practice ExamsReady to Test study guide – cost is $150 and there are copies available at the BSU Library. There are also practice exams available and most students have preferred the practice exam over the study guides.NAADAC Basics of Addiction Desk Reference – cost is $225 There are also practice exams available and most students have preferred the practice exam over the study guides.

For the IC&RC exam, click here and choose the IC&RC Alcohol and Drug Counselor Exam (Exam Only) application and follow the instructions to register. When you register for the exam, the exam will be scheduled within a few weeks after the registration date.

If you choose the NCC AP exam click here for complete directions.  You make take the exam two to three days after you register. You will need to request the NCAC Level II Exam. Some states use this exam for certification and charge more. Minnesota uses this exam for licensure only and the cost for this is $150. Licensure, not certification is the requirement to practice in Minnesota. ***You will need a code for the NCC AP exam. Please make sure you email me and I will give you the code needed.

Internship Hours/Transcripts

Upon completion of the internship, students submit their internship hours and transcript to MN Board of Behavioral Health.

Submit to the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health the signed LADC Internship Hours Log by mailing a copy to the board (the address is below) or by emailing Samantha Strehlo at

Request an official copy of your transcripts to be sent to the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy (BBHT). You may click here to access BSU’s Academic Records Transcript Request options. Remember, you will need to request official transcripts from all of the educational institutions you attended. The mailing address and contact information for BBHT is:

    2829 University Avenue SE
    Suite 210 Minneapolis, MN 55414
    Phone: (651) 201-2758; Fax: (612) 617-2187

    Check with BBHT to ensure that your exam results and transcripts have been received by emailing Samantha Strehlo in about a week after you have completed all of the steps. Licensure processing time takes about 2-4 weeks. You will receive the license number before you will receive the paper copy of your license. I suggest checking the Online Verification Tool a few weeks after you complete all the steps of the licensure process to access your license number.


    Licensure is received 2-4 weeks after submission of all documentation.

    LADC Application plus background check fees$295 + $33.25 = $328.25
    LADC Exam$225 (IC&RC) or $150 (NCC AP)
    Study Guides$150 (IC&RC) or $225 (NCC AP)
    TOTAL COSTS$703.25
    Amanda Willis-Martin

    “The addictions program has prepared me not only by giving me the physical resources I need, but a support system. The professors provided the encouragement to try something new and the education to do it. The psychology and social work departments partner well and give students a strong overview of what working in this field truly looks like.”

    -Amanda Willis Martin, LADC


    All addictions certificate courses must reflect a letter grade of C or higher and cumulative GPA of 2.50.

    Students will be required to pass a state background check in order to complete an internship. If you have any concerns about your ability to pass a background check please meet with Professor Amanda Longie about this prior to enrolling in the addictions certificate courses and she will help you navigate this process.

    Social work majors will complete a concurrent Social Work/Substance and Behavior Addictions internship.

    The time frame to accept transfer credits will follow the BSU policy of accepting credits completed within the last 10 years. The department will accept credits on a case-by-case basis outside of this time frame. Prior work experience will not be accepted in lieu of an addictions certificate internship.

    Students who are interested in adding the addictions certificate should contact their degree program advisor or Amanda Longie at To declare the additions certificate please submit this form to the records office in Deputy Hall.

    For more information on the courses in this program, visit the course catalog.

    Prospective Student Inquiry

    Please send me more information about the following Social Work degree options at Bemidji State University:

    "*" indicates required fields

    I'm interested in the following BSU programs:
    MM slash DD slash YYYY
    Have you completed your liberal education coursework (or AA degree)?
    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.