By using the BSU Library Catalog, a borrower can request the renewal of BSU library items which he or she checked out.
Requesting the renewal of Interlibrary Loan items can also be performed via the BSU Library Catalog, but the process and conditions are slightly different than renewing BSU items.
Renewing BSU-owned items
Most items owned by and checked out from the BSU Library can be renewed at least once. Online renewal helps to avoid the replacement fee that is charged when a borrowed item becomes more than 30 days overdue. Note that several types of items cannot be renewed: non-circulating items checked out on a special basis by faculty, items placed on course reserves by instructors (or requested for course reserve) and items requested for use (i.e. placed on hold) by another borrower.
Seven Steps to Online Renewal Success
- Go to the BSU Library Catalog.
- Click on Sign In on the tab at the top right-hand side of the page.
- Enter your your StarID–using only the letters and numbers, not the “@live.bemidjistate.edu”–and StarID password. Then, click Login.
- You will see a list of BSU-owned items which are checked out to your borrowing account.
- Click on the check-box to left of the item(s) you wish to renew; or, click on the “Renew All Items” link above the list to request a renewal for all items checked out to you.
- Click on the “Renew Selected Items” link at the top of the list to request a renewal for the selected items.
- If MnPALS accepts the renewal request, it will display the new due date and time.
- Sign out of My Library Card
Should you attempt a renewal when one is not yet possible, MnPALS will display an appropriate message underneath the citation for the item. If an item is not available for renewal, there will be no check-box next to the item (note: such items may be Interlibrary Loan items, see section below for renewal instructions).
Renewing Interlibrary Loan Items
Because Interlibrary loan items are provided to our users by other libraries, the terms of renewal are a bit different than those for renewing items owned by BSU. A maximum of ONE RENEWAL ONLY per item may be possible, if requested BEFORE the item is overdue. Be advised, however, that requesting a renewal does not mean that your item will automatically be renewed. The library lending the item reserves the right to grant or deny renewals. To request the renewal of an Interlibrary loan item, go to the BSU Library Catalog and log in to My Account. On the right side of the page, under “My Account”, click on ILL Requests and choose the item you would like to renew by clicking on the check-box above the citation (“Select to Renew ILL”). Then, click on the Renew Selected ILLs button at the top of the list. Check back in a few days on the status of your renewal request. Look in My Account to see if the item has been granted a new due date.