Bemidji State University, home of the Beavers, has been named a top-tier Midwest university by U.S. News and World Report.
- Approximately 5,100 undergraduate and over 300 graduate students
- 53% female; 47% male
- 19.5:1 student/faculty ratio
- Students hail from 36 different states and 38 different countries (88% from Minnesota)
- 82% of students receive some financial aid
- Over 65 undergraduate majors and pre-professional programs
- 14 graduate programs
- Largest majors: Business, Nursing, Education, Science, Technological Studies, Criminal Justice, and Psychology
- Unique programs: Aquatic Biology, Creative and Electronic Writing, Indian Studies, Marketing Communications, Exhibit Design, Industrial Model-Making, Wilderness Management and Outdoor Recreation Planning
- Honors Program that includes special on-campus housing
- American Indian Resource Center serving the campus and surrounding communities with outreach and educational programs
- NCAA Division I: Men’s and Women’s Hockey (men’s team has the highest winning percentage of any NCAA Division I team)
- Women’s DII: basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track, volleyball
- Men’s DII: baseball, basketball, football, golf
- Intramurals: beach and indoor volleyball, flag football, broomball, hockey, basketball, dodge ball, softball, soccer
- Kayaks, canoes, pontoons, sailboats, mountain bikes, camping equipment, snowshoes, ice fishing gear and cross country skis available for rent
- Music and theatre productions, Funtastic Dance Follies, student-union sponsored activities, and nearly 100 student clubs and organizations
- BSU’s tunnel system means it’s T-shirt and flip-flop season all year round
- The Chippewa (Ojibwe) tribe settled here in 1750 and continue to hold an important place in the cultural fabric of the community.
- Lake Bemidji freezes over around the end of November and thaws in late April (We even park on it in the winter).
- Bemidji is a popular year-round vacation destination in northern Minnesota with an area population of over 40,000.