Maury Sullivan Emergency Grant and Scholarship Award Winners

The Maury Sullivan Emergency Grant for International Students is just one example of many of the life-changing impact that generous donors can have on the lives of our students through philanthropic support of the BSU Alumni & Foundation.

Scan the QR code to hear from two other Sullivan grant recipients — Harrison Segero, a senior computer science major from Kakamega, Kenya and Erik Lemberg, a senior from St. Agatha, Ontario, double-majoring in physical education and health education. In this video, Harrison and Erik share their experiences as international students and the significant impact that the Sullivan grant has already made on their lives. This video is also available by visiting bsualumni.org.

Scholarship Winners

Ben Corradi

Scholarship: George W. Neilson Admisson Scholarship

Major: Political Science

Hometown: Bemidji

Impact Statement: I can’t begin to express my thanks for selecting me for the George W. Neilson Admission Scholarship. I was thrilled to receive this award, as this scholarship takes away the stress of paying for my education. I am a freshman this year majoring in political science with a pre-law emphasis, and I will also be playing baseball for BSU. My goal after graduation is to attend law school and become a lawyer. Bemidji State has an excellent program to help students achieve this goal and I’m excited to begin this journey. Thank you, donors, for your willingness to support students like me. My hope is that I’ll be able to help support deserving students and programs as I get further along in my career.

Ben Corradi Portrait

Richelle Fast

Scholarship: Richard E. Beitzel Scholarship

Major: Chemistry

Hometown: Bemidji

Impact Statement: I was very happy and appreciative to learn that I was selected as the recipient of the Richard E. Beitzel Scholarship. I am a chemistry major with an emphasis in criminalistics and minors in biology and criminal justice. I plan to pursue a career in forensic science upon graduating next spring. Thanks to this scholarship, I am one step closer to obtaining my degree and beginning a career that I believe will allow me to do good work that can make a difference in people’s lives. This scholarship has lightened my financial burden, which allows me to focus more on the most important aspect of school: learning. The generosity of donors has inspired me to help others and give back to the community. I hope one day I will be able to help students achieve their goals just as they have helped me.

Richelle Fast portrait

Barbara Pemberton

Scholarship: Walrath Family Scholarship

Major: Business Administration

Hometown: Red Lake

Impact Statement: The generosity of donors means so much to me, and it will help me continue my educational goals. I can’t thank you enough. I have the fall and spring semesters left until I am an official first-generation college grad who will open doors not only for myself but for my family to walk through. Once again, I appreciate the donation more than I can describe.

Barbara Pemberton