Starting your new job!
Congratulations on your new job at Bemidji State University! Now what should you do? Below are a few of the things that need to be taken care of to be sure that your employment starts smoothly.
Before your first day…
You should receive an email token, sent by the hiring manager, to log into the Minnesota State site to complete your employee profile.
On or after your first day…
Once your employment documents have been received and entered into the payroll system you can begin receiving your paycheck, obtain your BSU Badge and Keycard, and activate your campus accounts granting access to systems including computers, email, etc.
Within three days of your start date…
It is required by law that you prove you are legally allowed to work in the United States. Within three days of your start date, go to Human Resources and provide the necessary proof of your eligibility for employment in the U.S. (see Lists of Acceptable Documents on page 9).
Some additional resources include:
- Think about parking
- Minnesota State self service site- Click HERE
The State of MN Self Service website allows you to view/print your pay stub, change your home address, enroll in insurance benefits (if eligible), as well as access other payroll functions. You will receive a letter of explanation along with your User ID and password in the mail, after your employment has been documented in the personnel and payroll systems. What do you need to access the Self Service website? Your User ID is your State Employee ID, which is an assigned 8-digit number. If this is your first time logging in, use the last four digits of your social security number or click Forgot Password. Previous state employees should already have a User ID and password.
- Eligible for Benefits? Start familiarizing yourself with them HERE.
- SEGIP provides a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs for state employees and other organizations that participate in SEGIP. The state’s health benefits include medical and optional dental insurance, a pharmacy benefit, and programs that offer health coaching and worksite wellness initiatives. Wellbeing programs include life, disability, and long-term care insurance; and pre-tax spending accounts for medical, dental, vision, childcare, parking, and commuting expenses.
- Access Systems & Your Email-
New to BSU: You will need a StarID to access the university systems such as eServices, eTimesheet, and email. If you are brand new to Minnesota State (formerly MnSCU), then you need to activate your StarID. If you already have a StarID, even if it is from another Minnesota State institution, you’re all set.
Please note that it takes at least 24 hours for email to start synchronizing into mailbox.
Official notifications regarding your employment, updates, announcements and, campus events will come to you through email. You will want to make sure and check your email account, even if it is not your primary email account.
5. Set up Direct Deposit
- Go to the State of MN Self Service website
- Enter your State employee ID (assigned 8-digit number) as the User ID
- Select State of MN Self Service > Other Payroll > Direct Deposit