The Social Studies Endorsement, added onto an existing license, results in licensure to teach Middle School Social Studies (Grades 5-8).
Courses in the Social Studies content area are also required and students must consult with an advisor in the appropriate department and an advisor in the Professional Education Department to determine which courses meet the Minnesota State requirements. Some content courses may be transferred.
Social Studies Endorsement
Take all of the following:
- ED 4737 Content Area Reading (3 credits)
–20 hours of field experience outside of class
- ED 3417 Teaching and Learning in the Middle School (3 credits)
–10 hours of field experience outside of class
- ECON 2000 Markets and Resource Allocation (3 credits)
- GEOG 2100 Introduction to Physical Geography (3 credits)
- GEOG 2200 Introduction to Human Geography (3 credits)
- HST 1115 United States History II, since 1877 (3 credits)
- HST 2610 Minnesota History (3 credits)
- POL 1200 Introduction to American Politics (3 credits)
- ED 4840 Student Teaching – Special Fields (5 credits)*
Total: 24-29 credits
Please note: There is an additional MTLE Content Test for Social Studies Licensure.
*When combined with Elementary Education you will complete a total of 12 Student Teaching Credits.