Explore, Prepare, Target & Launch
Few people find their purpose in life while sitting on the couch. Just as in the world of work, active learning is key when it comes to deciding on an academic major and career path.
Career Services offers an ongoing variety of recurring workshops and events, as well as one-time opportunities you don’t want to miss. To see what’s coming up, visit our calendar.
Take advantage of what is available through the Career Services office to learn your strengths, get practice interviewing, learning about job opportunities, and gain more confidence in yourself and all you have to offer.
A few examples of the many regular workshops presented by Career Services:
- Practice Interviews: Sign up through Connect2Careers to meet with professionals who will help you practice and hone your interviewing skills and learn how to incorporate your strengths into the job search process. These practice interviews may be either general or career-specific.
- Resumes on the Run: No appointment is needed for these drop-in sessions in the Career Services office. Watch for posters and event announcements for times throughout the semester. Staff and peer advisors will review and help sharpen your resume. Bring a hard and/or electronic copy with you!
- Networking 101: These sessions focus on the importance of networking when searching for a job and finding professional success.
- Advice for a Slice: Have some free pizza while you learn tools and resources to help declare a major, including your top five strengths. Be sure to contact Career Services in advance if you haven’t taken a Strengths assessment.
Be sure to check out workshops by Career Services staff that you can watch on your own in 20 minutes or less. These include Resumes 101, Cover Letters 101, the Art of Interviewing, Networking 101, and Job Search Tools — all in 20 minutes or less.
Highlights of career-related events held on the BSU campus and elsewhere:
- GPS2 : is a fall event designed to assist Juniors and Seniors in navigating next steps towards graduation. Whether you’re headed to graduate school or a professional career, you won’t want to miss this event.
- Major & Career Expo: Presented jointly by the Advising Success Center and Career Services, this late fall event provides students an opportunity to meet with faculty advisors to discuss majors, minors and career planning. Representatives of clubs, organizations and academic departments attend.
- BSU & NTC Job & Internship Fair: This late-winter/early-spring event is a chance to meet employers seeking to hire students for full and part-time jobs, internships, and summer projects. Or just practice talking to professionals about yourself, your strengths, and your interests. You’ll be surprised where it might lead. Career Services often offers a prep session a couple weeks before to help you make a good impression.
- Best You @ BSU: Learn about the six domains of wellness that can help you increase your success and discover resources for all six: emotional, environmental, physical, career, spiritual and social.
- Life After BSU: Offered in the spring, this event helps you improve your financial literacy and think realistically about what how you’ll manage when you’re out on your own.