The resume gets you in the door. The interview gets you the job! Congratulations on making it to the next stage of the hiring process. We suggest that you prepare for an interview as if it were a final exam!
Before the Interview
- Research the organization
- Key contact names
- Principal location and subsidiaries
- What is their company culture and mission statement
- Company achievements and competitors
- List of your key accomplishments and skills
- Practice a list of interview questions to help prepare you. Take advantage of Interviewing.com!
- Have at least 5 success stories to answer behavioral interview questions. For example, “Tell me about a time when you had to work closely with someone whose personality was very different from yours.”
- Prepare 5 questions to ask the interviewer(s) at the end of the interview
- Test drive to the interview site the day before
- Have copies of your resume, reference sheet and unofficial transcripts
- Be sure your interview attire is clean and ironed
Day of the Interview
- Arrive and enter the building ten minutes early
- Greet the interview panel professionally. Smile and maintain eye contact
- Be mindful of your non-verbal communication
- Leave your phone in the car
- At the conclusion of the interview, determine the next steps
After the Interview
- As soon as possible write down what you’re thinking and feeling. What went well, what do you wish you would have expanded on.
- Write a thank you note to the interviewer, reminding them of how your experiences align with the candidate they are seeking.
- Behavior Interview Questions Generator
- Secrets For Interview Success
- Dress For Success
- Interviewing.com a Virtual Practice Interview platform