Candidacy is a significant step in the graduate program process. Students who have candidacy approved have shown that they are able to successfully complete graduate degree requirements and have established a plan for degree completion.

Application for Candidacy

  • Prior to submitting your Candidacy form, contact your advisor for assistance in designing a plan of study and forming your graduate program committee.
  • You should submit the application by the time you complete 12 graduate credits.
  • Your Candidacy form must be signed by the advisor, department chair or program coordinator, and College Dean before submitting to the School of Graduate Studies.

Find the application for admission to candidacy for your specific department below.

Candidacy Forms by Program*

Biology (MS-Thesis) or Biology Online (MS-Non-Thesis) Business Administration (MBA)
English (MA) or English (MS) Education (MAT)
Environmental Studies (MS-Thesis) or (MS-Non-Thesis) Special Education (MSpEd)
 Mathematics (MS)
Elementary/Middle Level Mathematics Education (MS)

*Don’t see your program? Contact Graduate Studies for assistance.

  • All candidates are required to have satisfied any conditions attached to their admission and have achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least a 3.00 (B) for course work attempted.
  • In addition, a candidate may be required to pass a departmental/program qualifying examination.
  • The purpose of residency is to establish a minimum period of time at the degree granting institution to allow for the proper evaluation of degree criteria.
  • At least twenty (20) semester hours must be completed “in residence” at Bemidji State University.
Transfer Credits
  • All graduate credits earned at a regionally accredited college or university should be transferred prior to admission to candidacy.
  • An approved Graduate Course Equivalency form must be on file.
  • A letter grade should normally accompany each course to be transferred.
  • An official transcript must be received before transfer credits will appear on the BSU transcript.
  • The Master’s Degree Program guidelines state that a maximum of ten (10) semester credits (or the equivalent) may be considered in transfer.
  • All course work must have been completed within seven (7) years of the anticipated date of graduation.
  • BSU Institutes and Workshops: A maximum of five (5) semester credits of workshop/institute courses numbered 5950 (or equivalent when transferred) may be included in a program of study.

Skip to toolbar