Required forms for degree seeking students
Now that you have gone through the application process and have been accepted into a specific master’s program, there are additional steps you need to complete on your way to graduation.
- Current Students may access additional program materials below.
- If you are a returning student but have not enrolled in credited courses within the last two years, please Update Your Program.
- If you are a certificate, licensure, or “course-work only” student, you are not required to complete the following items. If you wish to determine if the courses you have completed could be used in a master’s degree, contact the School of Graduate Studies.
All students must complete the Application for Candidacy form to verify their qualifications for the master’s degree and to set forth those courses to be included in the program of study (do not confuse this form with certificate or licensure form requirements).
This form replaces the traditional Forms 2 and 3.
The Graduate Petition is for the purpose of making changes to your approved Candidacy such as program revisions and exceptions, time extension, etc. The Graduate Course Equivalency form is for course substitutions and transfer credits.
These forms replace the traditional Form 6.
The Application for Graduation ensures that the School of Graduate Studies and Records office are aware of your intention to complete your graduate degree and allows these offices to confirm that all necessary steps are completed for degree completion.
This form replaces the traditional Form 4.
The form should be completed during the first week of the term in which you expect to complete your master’s degree or intend to participate in Spring Commencement.
The purpose of this form is to verify that you have successfully completed are components required for issuing a master’s degree. This form should be submitted to your advisor to confirm that all degree requirements are met.
This form replaces the traditional Form 5.
Access information specific to your degree
- Master of Arts (MA)/Master of Science (MS) Track (Biology, English, Environmental Studies, Education, Elem/Middle Level Math, Mathematics)
- Applied Master’s Track (Master of Arts in Teaching, Master in Special Education, Master in Business Administration)
- If you are unsure as to which track you are on, please contact the School of Graduate Studies and include your full name and student ID# in the subject line.
Additional degree components
If you plan to use human subjects in your research paper or thesis, you are required to secure PRIOR approval from your advisor and the Institutional Review Board (IRB).
Each master’s program requires graduating students to demonstrate competency in a specific area. The department/program determines the appropriate competency options and requirements.
In order to complete the Application for Graduation, candidates must identify the dates on which they intend to take or have taken the written examination. The written examination is a separate requirement from the oral examination.
Depending on your department or program, you may have the option of completing a thesis, research paper, or final project/course. Make sure to discuss your options with your advisor.
Visit the Records and Registration website for these and other forms and information.
- Advisor Change
- Arranged Course Request
- Name Change
- Transcript Request
- Residence Classification Request
- F-1 Reduced Course Load Certification (for international students only)