The Social Studies Endorsement is an optional add-on for Education students. It can be added to any full license and results in licensure to teach Middle School Social Studies (Grades 5-8).
The credits can be taken in addition to a student’s plan of study, spread throughout semesters as their schedule permits pending prerequisites.
Social Studies Endorsement
Take all of the following
- ED 3417 Teaching and learning in the Middle School (3 credits)
Offered only in the fall (online)
- ED 4737 Content Area Reading (3 credits)
25 hours of field experience outside of class
Offered in the fall and spring (online)
- ECON 2000 Markets and Resource Allocation (3 credits)
- GEOG 2100 Introduction to Physical Geography (3 credits)
- GEOG 2200 Introduction to Human Geography (3 credits)
- HST 1115 United States History II, since 1877 (3 credits)
- HST 2610 Minnesota History (3 credits)
- POL 1200 Introduction to American Politics (3 credits)
- ED 4840 Student Teaching – Special Fields (5 credits)*
*When combined with Elementary Education (or another full licensure program) you will complete a total of 12 Student Teaching credits.
Please note: There is an additional MTLE Content Test required for Middle Level Social Studies Licensure.