All teaching candidates participating in clinical experiences (field experience or student teaching) are required to have liability insurance. During clinical experiences, a candidate may encounter situations that could involve legal actions in which the candidate or BSU could be held liable for damages. Liability insurance will provide protection for most lawsuits and is mandatory before any candidate enters the classroom.

Follow These Steps to Obtain Insurance

  1. The easiest way is to go to Education Minnesota (Please read the notes below before following the link.)
  2. Scroll down and click on “Online Application.” This is the application to become a member of Education Minnesota/National Education Association, which includes liability coverage.
  3. The membership/coverage period each academic year is from September 1st to August 31st. Membership/coverage expires every August regardless of purchase date. The cost is $25.00.
  4. You can sign up in advance; the application process begins each year on July 1st.

Why obtain insurance through Education Minnesota?

  1. It is comparatively inexpensive:
    A $25 membership provides a member benefit of $1 million in professional teacher liability coverage through NEA.
  2. It is simple:
    Insurance through the Education Minnesota Student Program can be purchased online using a credit card.
  3. Your “proof of coverage” is automatically emailed to the Clinical Experiences Office:
    EDMN sends the Clinical Office an insurance report every Tuesday listing all the currently insured students. Students do not need to send their receipts to the Clinical office unless their field placement is being held until they prove their coverage.

Do you have to obtain insurance through Education Minnesota? No. There may be other options.

  1. Other professional organizations may provide a similar liability insurance coverage member benefit. Coverage must be equal to, or greater than, the coverage offered by EDMN.
  2. MNSHAPE, AAE, other professional associations, as well as some school district employers may provide acceptable coverage. Proof of coverage is required.
  3. Homeowners insurance does not include the type of liability insurance that is required for teacher candidates.
  4. Parental liability insurance also is not usually comprehensively applicable to classroom situations.

Please contact with questions.