The Mathematics Education Bachelor of Science (Teacher Licensure) follows the guidelines of the National Council of Teacher of Mathematics for undergraduate programs for teachers of mathematics and fulfills the requirements set forth by Minnesota’s Professional Education Licensing and Standards Board.
Our program includes faculty who are former K-12 mathematics educators dedicated to ensuring that our students gain the skills to become successful teachers of mathematics. Unique attributes of our program:
- Opportunities to interact closely with faculty on research and professional presentations;
- Additional coursework related to developing mathematical ideas in the K-12 classroom;
- Opportunities to work as a tutor in the Math Help Room where you can practice tutoring mathematics;
- Emphases on both mathematical content and best practices teaching pedagogy;
- Connections to recent graduates through coursework and practicum experiences.
The Mathematics Education program also provides a strong mathematical background for students to become well rounded experts in the realm of mathematics and statistics. Upon completion of this program, students will be fully prepared for teaching licensure in grades five through twelve.