Instructors are at the core of BSU College in the High School. We provide professional development opportunities for participating high school instructors.
We pair each high school instructor with a BSU faculty mentor and provide them with opportunities throughout the year to collaborate with BSU faculty and further develop their skills as an educator. CIHS instructors receive numerous benefits, including:
- Use of the BSU library and electronic resources
- Professional development such as training and orientation to University curriculum and University-sponsored workshops
- BSU campus visits, classroom visits by the faculty mentor and other opportunities to encourage collegial interaction with University faculty
Instructor Eligibility Requirements
In order to be eligible to serve as a Bemidji State University College in the High School instructor, teachers must have the support of their high school’s administration and meet specific requirements. Determination of whether a high school instructor meets these qualifications is made by the sponsoring academic department at the University.
Eligibility requirements include an earned Master’s degree in subject area or Master’s degree plus 18 graduate credits in subject area.
Instructors must submit a completed Instructor qualification and information form, signed by the high school principal, along with a resume and official graduate transcripts to BSU’s College in the High School Program Director, to request approval to teach in this program.
- Participate in training and orientation in course curriculum, assessment criteria, course philosophy, and BSU academic policies
- Work collaboratively with faculty mentor for approval of course content, assessment criteria, course philosophy, and evaluation strategies implemented in the course
- Participate in University sponsored workshops and other professional development opportunities
- Use BSU approved textbooks and syllabus for course instruction
- Use BSU grading policy
- Notify students of their academic progress on a routine basis
Please review the Instructor Handbook for additional details on the program’s expectations, policies and procedures.