Services for American Indian Students
The AIRC is a place where Indian students can gather for learning, support and cultural interaction. We offer help with class scheduling, academic and personal counseling together with the Bemidji State University campus community. The center’s goal is to assist in any way we can to help you stay in school and ultimately graduate.
Some first steps are to join social media and get to know some people. Your social interactions are important for not only your own emotional wellness, but it is important for your career too. Networking can be helpful when you want to get a job or when you need someone’s expertise in a different discipline to help you study or otherwise. The friends you make in college are your friends for life!
Check out these apps to keep you involved
Explore your options
The next step is becoming serious about your career. Choosing your career can seem daunting when you first come to college, but one major doesn’t mean that’s what you will do forever. Career exploration is a huge part of college and your intended major, be sure to attend different speakers and trainings in and outside of your major to always learn something new.
For more help on Career Exploration visit these websites and people!
Know your financial options
Another step to being successful is to understand and ask questions about your financial situation. Sometimes talking about finances can be overwhelming to the point where we might not know what questions to ask. Be assured financial wellness can be complicated and stressful, but with a listening ear and specific understanding of terms we can help you grow your financial knowledge.
Here are some links to some people with great financial knowledge!
Tips on being successful
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. It is our job to make sure you have options, resources, and opportunities to be successful. We can be the first listening ear if you are unsure of who to talk to and we can connect you with the right people.
- Make a connection. We want to know more about you than just your struggles so reach out even when things are going good. We can write recommendation letters and be references for you later or now!
- Invite your friends! Going to an event or have to see a speaker for class? Bring your friends along, they might learn something new or discover a hidden passion for the learning material. College is after all about exploring different options.
- Plan your classes early, plan your graduation early, and plan your work early. This is a huge factor in your success. By planning things early you take the stress away from last minute planning and help you anticipate problems and possible solutions as they arise.
- If you don’t know where to start stop by the AIRC and talk with us.