How secure are Bemidji State University’s residence halls?
Safety and security are top priorities at Bemidji State University. All of our residence halls (including University Heights) are locked 24 hours a day. Security cameras are also present and can be accessed by hall staff and the Department of Public Safety. Sprinklers and smoke detectors are also present in all apartments and residence halls.

What if I want information about specific residence halls?
Detailed information can be found for each residence hall or apartment on the housing and residential life website.

How should I send mail to my student living in a residence hall?
Student mail is not delivered to individual residence hall facilities. Residential students are assigned a mailbox with their housing assignment. Students will receive their mailbox number with their housing assignment letter, and they may keep the same mailbox for their entire time living on campus. When addressing mail to your student, use the following format:

Student First and Last name:
Hall Name
Hall Address(each building has a different street address)
Bemidji, MN 56601

If a student receives a package, he or she will be notified via a package slip in their mailbox and will pick up the item from the front desk of each residence hall.

When does my student have to check out after final exams?
Students are expected to check out within 24 hours of their final exam. Students who are unable to check out at that time should contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life to request an extension.

Does my student need to remove anything from their room during breaks?
Students generally do not have to remove items from their rooms during fall, winter or spring breaks, though they may wish to bring items of particular value home with them. Students are advised to lock their dorms or apartments during break periods.

Are there any options for break housing?
Some campus residence halls and apartments do stay open over holidays and spring breaks, but that option is only available to contracted students. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact Housing and Residence Life.

What if my student wants a room reassignment or doesn’t get along with his/her roommate?
There is a brief period at the beginning of the fall and spring semester (two weeks) when students can meet with their residence hall director to discuss room reassignment options. Otherwise, room reassignments are not typically made. We have seen great success with students who can work through difficult situations and learn how to resolve conflict, but the qualified staff in residential life and student life and success are available to work with roommates who are having difficulties communicating or getting along.

Is bed lofting allowed? How can my student order a lofting kit?
Bemidji State University does allow students to loft their beds. Renting a bed loft is an easy, affordable way to create additional living space in residence hall rooms, so we highly recommend students take advantage of the service. Students who pre-order can even have their furniture set up before move-in day. Lofts can be requested after that date by contacting the Housing & Residential Life Office, but cannot be guaranteed setup upon arrival. The cost of a loft is $50 per semester and would be added to your overall bill with the university. Refunds on lofts will only be given during the first two weeks of each semester and will be granted upon the return of the kit.

When can my returning student apply to live on campus?
Upperclassmen get to choose their housing as early as late fall. Students are notified via their Bemidji State University email account with information about the returning student room selection.

Who should my student contact if they are having issues with their internet, cable, laundry or other housing facilities?
Contact information for the housing staff and guidance for students can be found at Housing & Residential Life. If there are recurring issues with internet, cable, laundry or other housing facilities, students may contact their residential assistant or residential housing direction.

Where can I find information on meal plans and Beaver Bucks?
Visit dining at Bemidji State.

Who can I contact if I need additional information?

University Heights — Effective August 1, 2022, University Heights will no longer constitute Bemidji State University housing. The owners of the property, JT Properties LLC, will be leasing space in this building as off-campus housing to BSU students and others at the following rates:

Apartment Contracts: 10 months (August 1–May 31) at $750/month WITH AN OPTIONAL DISCOUNTED SUMMER RATE for 2 months (June–July) at $500/month.

University Heights rates are per person and applied as follows:


Monthly Rate


Summer 2022 Only (June-July)
Contact Bemidji State University



Fall (August–December)



Spring (January–May)



* rates subject to change

This building was designed with students in mind. The building has 8 three-bedroom and 8 four-bedroom apartments, which are fully furnished and coed-optional, with each resident having a private bedroom with locks. Apartments have a full, open kitchen with a dishwasher, refrigerator, oven and microwave; a washer and dryer; and two full bathrooms per unit, plus additional vanities to accommodate every resident.  Additional amenities include a flat-screen TV, wireless, digital cable, and a location just immediately adjacent to campus. Students can join with friends to lease an entire apartment or lease a single bedroom in an apartment shared by others. Residents can take advantage of the close proximity and walk to classes. The university is providing this information about University Heights as a resource for students. The university makes no claim for the quality of off-campus rental property nor assumes responsibility for any aspect of rental agreements. Potential renters are encouraged to inspect the property and be familiar with rental contracts and landlord/tenant rights prior to signing rental agreements. This information may be found at:

Landlord and Tenants: Rights and Responsibilities
published by the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office.

Note to Students:  It is highly recommended that students view any rental property prior to entering into a lease.

For further details respecting University Heights, please contact John Peterson of JT Properties, LLC at (218) 760-5515 or info@universityheightsbemidji.com.

University Heights Apartments (http://www.universityheightsbemidji.com)

All other residence halls — Please contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life with any requests for further information.

Housing & Residential Life – Walnut Hall
1500 Birchmont Dr NE, #33
Bemidji, MN 56601
(218) 755-3750 (Phone)
1-888-350-4255 (Toll Free)
(218) 755-3753 (Fax)

Their office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. In case of an emergency, please contact our Department of Public Safety at 218-755-3888.