The Department of Residential Life at Bemidji State University is committed to fostering safe, caring, inclusive environments that encourage student learning through academic success, respect, personal development and a sense of responsibility toward our community, our environment and global society.
- Altruism – unselfish concern for the welfare of others.
- Trust – in ourselves and others.
- Inclusiveness – recognizing, appreciating and celebrating differences and similarities.
- Honesty – behaving in accord with stated and implied values and principles.
- Empathy – understanding others’ feelings or difficulties.
- Opportunity – providing for development for self and others through involvement.
- Excellence – always striving toward a further goal, developing, never complacent.
- Fairness – behavior and attitudes that reflect fair play and openness.
- Respect – for oneself and the esteem and value of others, environment and community.
- Love – dedicate self for the purpose of enhancing one’s own or another’s good.
- Lifelong Learning – pursuit of knowledge to enhance development and competitiveness.
- Accountability – stewardship of resources and purposeful assessment and practice.
- Share responsibility with our residents for maintaining safe, clean and comfortable facilities.
- Assess facilities and programs on a continuous basis in order to plan for improvement and growth, and sustainability.
- Practice fiscal responsibility in managing facilities and resources.
- Serve as caring and supportive models of ethical and professional behavior.
- Serve as advocates for residents with their concerns and act as a resource.
- Empower staff through interactive training, personal supervision, and leadership development.
- Provide staff with strategies for developing community and meeting the needs of students.
- Follow a comprehensive staff selection process that is intentional and fair that results in the hiring of outstanding and diverse staff.
- Partner with students and staff members to develop community expectations that encourage civility, respect for others and property and individual rights and responsibilities.
- Provide a dining service that offers quality and value.
- Support our students and the University mission by collaboratively working with faculty and staff to enhance student development and learning.
- Provide environments that are conducive to student learning and fostering student success.
- Develop learning opportunities that complement the academic mission of the University.
- Provide current technologies, programs and facilities that support academic success.
- Professional and peer staff engage in intentional academic intervention and support leading to student success.
- Provide resources and support for successful transition to and from the collegiate experience.
- Support and challenge students to foster autonomy and personal development.
- Utilize policies, procedures and activities which lead to self-exploration and enhance respect for oneself and others.
- Encourage student awareness, understanding and appreciation of the diversity of individual backgrounds, beliefs and ideas.
- Encourage participation in community service and cultural awareness activities to enhance understanding of one’s role in a larger society and the need to contribute positively to it.