First-Year Experience (FYE) Seminars provide students the foundation to reach their fullest academic potential, while introducing them to our traditions and expectations and welcoming them to our community.
FYE seminars also help connect students’ academic experiences to their social life at BSU. By having students complete group learning activities and exercises while facilitating discussions about issues and ideas outside of the classroom.
Over the course of the FYE seminar, you will:
- Meet and begin forming a relationship with your academic advisor
- Start an electronic portfolio to help you develop and track your academic and career goals
- Develop stronger public speaking and communication skills through class presentations
- Complete service learning experiences and explore what it means to be a responsible citizen
- Strengthen your writing skills through weekly journal writing exercises
- Learn about and begin to use the university’s many resources including: the library, writing center, tutoring, Math Help Center, study groups, study abroad programs, Career Services, TRIO and health & counseling services
- Continue developing technological fluency and computer skills
- Express respect and tolerance for the many diverse views and experiences of all members of the university community