Housing Accommodations

Housing accommodations may be needed for students who feel that:

  • living in a traditional setting may not work,
  • they will need something additional in that setting, or
  • for students who need accessible rooms.

Requesting Housing Accommodations

Housing & Residential Life works in partnership with Accessibility Services to provide housing accommodations for students with documented disabilities. Each student’s needs are determined on a case-by-case basis.

The Accommodation Process

For full consideration, requests based on medical need must be received by:

  • May 15 for housing beginning Fall Semester
  • December 1 for housing beginning Spring Semester

Step 1: Apply for Housing in your BSU e-Services account under the Housing and Dining tab.

Step 2: Contact Accessibility Services! Please call 218-766-2139 or schedule online to set up an appointment.

Step 3: Submit a BSU Accessibility Services Application

Step 4: Work with a qualified health care provider to have them complete and submit the Health Care Form.

Step 5: Meet with Accessibility Services at your scheduled time to discuss accommodations.

Emotional Support Animals (ESAs)

An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is an animal that provides comfort to an individual with a disability in their living environment and is a housing accommodation authorized by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the federal Fair Housing Act.

Applications for an ESA must be approved through Accessibility Services and Housing & Residential Life prior to arrival on campus.

Please follow the steps outlined above to request an ESA.