Maintaining F-1 Status

To maintain F-1 Status, you must:

  • Report to the PDSO (Cherish Hagen-Swanson) to have your SEVIS record registered in SEVIS at the beginning of each semester of enrollment.
  • Ensure that the school listed on the visa and on the I-20 are the same.
  • Pursue a full course of study at the school listed on the currently valid Form I-20 during every academic session or semester except during official school breaks or unless approved under a specific exception in advance by the DSO (Cherish Hagen-Swanson).
  • Make normal progress towards completing the course of study, by completing studies before the expiration of the program completion date listed on your Form I-20.
  • Keep Form I-20 valid by following proper procedures for:
    — Extension of stay
    — Change in educational levels or programs of study
    — Transfer of schools
  • Abide by the F-1 grace period rules.
  • Report a change of address to the PDSO (Cherish Hagen-Swanson) within 10 days of the change, so that SEVIS can be updated.
  • Abide by rules requiring disclosure of information and prohibition on criminal activity.
  • Abide by any special requirements, such as Special Registration requirements.
  • Not Work, either on or off-campus, unless specifically authorized under the regulations at 8 C.F.R § 214.2(f)(9) or § 214.2(f)(10).
  • Undergraduate F-1 international students can only count ONE online class (3 credits max) toward their 12 credits of full-time enrollment. If a student only needs one course to complete their program of study, the course cannot be online or distance learning.
  • Graduate Programs students: Full-Time enrollment is 9 credit hours per semester, or 6 credit hours with a graduate assistantship
  • Work only with authorization. Always get written employment authorization before accepting employment. If you have employment authorization, limit your work to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. You can work up to 40 hours per week during the summer vacation, during the break between fall and spring semesters, and during Spring Break. F-2 visa holders may not work.