On-Campus Employment

International students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are eligible to be employed in regular on-campus student payroll positions.

Work study positions (campus employment that is funded by the state or federal government) are restricted to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Most positions on campus are not work study, and many international students are able to successfully find a regular student payroll position.

Full Time Enrollment Status

All international students on an F-1 or J-1 visa who are interested in working on campus must maintain their immigration status and full-time enrollment during the fall and spring terms (summer session enrollment is not required):

For graduate students:
Full-time enrollment is 9 semester hours, or 6 semester hours plus a graduate assistantship.

For undergraduates students:
Full-time enrollment is 12 semester hours.

Finding a Job

Q. How do I find a job?

A. This is information about working on-campus. You will need to contact the department indicated to set up an interview and complete a job application. In addition, the food service for BSU (Aramark) and the Bemidji State University bookstore are other on-campus areas where you can work. To work for Aramark, go to the Aramark website and look for “Student Worker” positions.

Q. What do I do after I find a job?

A. After you have been hired, you will receive a Job Offer Letter from your supervisor. Please bring this letter to the IPC (Deputy 111). The IPC will then prepare a student employment letter for you. You will need to bring those letters, along with your BSU Student ID, your Passport, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 with you when you apply for a Social Security number. You can do this at the Bemidji Social Security office (located near Walmart). You need to have a US Social Security number to work in the USA. It usually takes 1-2 weeks for your Social Security card/number to arrive in the mail. Once you’ve received that, bring it and the other documents mentioned above to the BSU Student Employment Office, second floor in Deputy Hall, Room 202. There will be other forms that you will be required to fill out:

  • W4: Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
  • I9: Employee’s Eligibility Verification
  • 8233: This form is filled out only if we have a tax treaty with your country.
    (if there is a treaty you will be eligible to be exempt from taxes)
  • Tax Residency Information Form: helps determine and document your resident or nonresident status for tax purposes.

Q. How much can I work?

A. During school terms, students can work up to 20 hours a week. This includes graduate assistantships. (If you are employed in more than one on-campus location, the combined total number of hours needs to be 20 or less. For example: 10 hours a week working for Aramark and 10 hours a week working for the Admissions office–not 10 Aramark hours and 15 in Admissions). Each department has their own budget and they will be determining how many hours that you will be working for their area. During breaks (spring, summer, winter), you may work up to 40 hours (all jobs, combined) per week.

Q. How much will I get paid?

A. The student wage rate currently starts at $9.90 USD/hour and goes up to $10.50 USD/hour, depending on the total number of hours worked.

Q. How do I get my time sheet?

A. You will complete and submit your time sheet electronically for supervisor approval, once every two weeks.

Q. Where and when do I get my paycheck?

A. Payday is the Friday of the following week after time sheets are due. Direct deposit of your paycheck into your personal bank account is strongly encouraged.


Student Employment Office
(218) 755-2859
Deputy 202