There are limited, but very important, exceptions to the full course load of study requirements.
In the situations described below, F-1 students are considered to be maintaining status even if they are not registered for a full course of study, and they continue to be eligible for F-1 benefits if they are otherwise eligible.
- Illness or Medical Conditions.
- Initial Difficulty with the English Language*
- Initial Difficulty with Reading Requirements*
- Unfamiliarity with American Teaching Methods*
- Improper Course Level Placement*
- To Complete Course of Study in Current Term
- Part Time Border Commuter Student
*Only available in first semester at BSU.
Reduced Course Load must be approved by the DSO prior to the occurrence. Please submit the completed Reduced Course Load form to the International Program Center for DSO signature and authorization.