The Summer English Language and Cultural Immersion Program at Bemidji State University is a short term program (2-3 weeks) with an equal focus on intensive English language and cultural immersion. The program is designed for college students wishing to improve their English language proficiency and to gain a deeper understanding of U.S. culture at the same time experiencing life as the ambassadors from their home institution on BSU’s campus.
During the program, participants attend 15 hours of classes Monday to Friday. The mornings are dedicated to focused language instruction based on the students’ English levels, while the afternoons provide opportunities for educational, cultural, natural and historical outings around the state of Minnesota.
Early in the program, students are divided into smaller groups, or teams, each one led by a BSU student mentor. They remain in these teams throughout the three weeks while doing activities both on and off campus. The BSU student mentor serves as a team captain to the Chinese students in their group. The mentors organize friendly competitions for the teams who compete for points that accumulate until the end of the program when the winning team is announced. One such activity is a scavenger hunt on the first day that helps the students familiarize themselves with the campus and the city of Bemidji.
The BSU student mentors are all current enrolled students. As such, they know the campus inside and out, as well as the surrounding area. This enables them to serve as effective and informative guides. They also serve as conversation partners and cultural mentors to the participants.
After a morning of classes, students head off on field trips to explore Minnesota and its beautiful environment. Bemidji and Northern Minnesota is such a paradise for outdoor nature lovers, so we make it a point to limit the amount of class time for this program. Students can get outside, be active, connect with nature, immerse themselves in the culture and fine tune their newly acquired English skills and cultural knowledge from the classroom. No two days are the same. The activities are diverse and may include visits to a family-run organic farm, art museums, musical and theatrical performances, exploration of historical landmarks, hiking trails at the state parks, and other recreational and cultural sites, including the famous Mississippi headwaters, Lake Itasca, St. Paul cathedral, Split-Rock light house and a sunset cruise on Lake Superior. In the evenings, students participate in social activities with Bemidji State University students and faculty, which include a welcome bonfire, outdoor Barbeque, rock-climbing, yoga in the park, a lawn game night, outdoor concerts, and a formal farewell dinner.
Program Elements and Costs
NorthStar Visiting Scholars Academy will accommodate the visiting student ambassadors for a program fee (please contact Jo Li for more details) and provide the following:
- Transportation to and from Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- BSU support staff and student team leaders
- Access to BSU facilities and resources (e.g. BSU library, WiFi, Wellness and Recreation Center)
- 15 hours per week of English language lessons (total of 30 hours), and related course materials
- 3 meals a day for the duration of the program to and from MSP
- Housing for 20 nights (double occupancy room shared another student of the same sex)
- Transportation and admissions for field trips to places of interest within the state of Minnesota
- Equipment rental for water activities
- Off-campus activities (e.g. Mall of America, Musical performance, Itasca Headwaters of Mississippi, St. Paul Cathedral, Split Rock Historic Light House)
- On campus activities (e.g. Bonfire picnic, outdoor BBQ, rock climbing, yoga, farewell reception)
The Following costs are not included in the program fee:
- Round-trip travel costs to MSP
- Visa fees where applicable
- Personal expenses, shopping and souvenir expenses
- Health and other accidental insurance
- Expenses travelling to other parts of the U.S.
- 周一到周五上午参与每周15小时的英语语言课程学习(共30小时), 包括教材
- 校外活动（例如游览密西西比河源头Itasca公园，逛MOA美国最大购物中心，观看舞剧表演，参观圣保罗大教堂和Split Rock灯塔等）
具体项目费用请联系 Jo Li， email@example.com