Congratulations and welcome to Bemidji State University!
Now that you have been admitted, it’s time to start focusing on your next steps to becoming a student at Bemidji State University (BSU)! The International Program Center is here to help you make the most of your experience at BSU, offering guidance at every step along the way.
Once admitted, we will send you an Admitted International Student Packet along with your I-20 or DS-2019 and letter of admission. Once you receive this packet, you will need to:
- Sign your I-20/DS-2019.
- Pay your SEVIS fee. This should be done as soon as possible to ensure that you have enough time to obtain your visa and make travel arrangements.
- Apply for your student visa at the nearest U.S. consulate.
- Make flight arrangements for travel to Bemidji, Minnesota (airport code is BJI), to arrive BEFORE the orientation program start date (located on admission letter).
- Complete and return the Arrival Notification Form (via email is ok). We provide free airport pickup from the Bemidji airport only, and only for those who have registered for on-campus housing.
- Set up StarID (if you haven’t already done so) and MyBSU e-mail account.
- Sign up for residence hall and dining service contract form through MyBSU account.You are required to live on campus your first year at BSU, or until you are at least 21 years old. Please note that you are not required to submit the $150 prepayment for housing.
- Bring immunization records with you to take to the BSU Student Center for Health and Counseling once you arrive and fill out the immunization form.
Upon arrival you are required to:
- Attend the international student orientation program, which includes an English assessment and math placement test.
- Purchase the mandatory health insurance. Please see UnitedHealthcare’s website for general information.See UHC’s “Welcome Bemidji State University” page for more detailed information, to see the “2015-4 Flyer – International Students (Form 150TH37), scroll down to the list.
- Have a test for tuberculosis, which is administered by the Student Center for Health and Counseling.
Resources for Admitted Students
Preparing for Travel – Information on obtaining your visa, traveling to Bemidji, and what you’ll need when you arrive.
Arrival Notification – Please notify us as soon as possible to confirm your attendance and inform us of your arrival information.
Health Insurance – Learn more about required health insurance for international students.
Housing – Information about BSU’s residence halls and housing options for international students.
Immunization – Immunization requirements for enrollment.
Orientation – Orientation is mandatory for new international students.
Sevis Fee – All F-1 and J-1 visa applicants are required to pay this fee.
I-20 and DS-2019 Mailing Options – Learn about ways you can have your time sensitive immigration documents express-mailed using UEMS.
Visa Information – Points to remember when applying for a non-immigrant visa.